Orange Cap with Thermowell on Better Bottle

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

yl_ryan

Orange Cap with Thermowell on Better Bottle

Post by yl_ryan »

Hey brewers,

I have one of those orange carboy caps with integrated thermowell. After I cracked the lip of my 6.5 gallon glass carboy, I decided to give a 6 gallon better bottle a try.

While assembling my equipment for an evening brewing session this evening, I discovered (oops) that the orange cap does not/may not fit the better bottle. Any tips for making it fit?

Thanks!
Last edited by yl_ryan on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottK

Re: Orange Cap with Thermowell on Better Bottle

Post by ScottK »

I have the same situation. It fits, but not air tight. I'll be interested to see if there's an good solution.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

When I use carboys, I use one of those orange caps with the thermowell input in combination with my small CO2 tank to push beer around (a racking cane is in the middle and the input gets the CO2). Several of my carboys have a fit similar to what Scott described ... not exactly airtight but not sloppy loose. I use a big hose (worm style) clamp to ensure a tight fit when pushing with CO2. I don't know why it wouldn't work with the better bottle. It doesn't need to be automotive tight ... just snug. When pushing with CO2, I'm only using about 2-3 PSI and it works fine. So for fermenting where pressures should never get that high unless your airlock is plugged, you should be good.

Dan
yl_ryan

Post by yl_ryan »

My carboy cap is too small for the better bottle. It barely makes it over the lip of the better bottle spout, and doesn't seal. It just sits on there.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Have a look at a stopper with two holes then ... that is what I use for airlock - thermowell combination.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Zip tie that sucker on there and then cut the tie after fermentation. Home Depot and Harbor Fright sell a life-time supply for about $12 I think.