Proper care and feeding of your March pump?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Proper care and feeding of your March pump?

Post by bwarbiany »

Hey guys... I've had my pumps a few years now, and seem to have had some issues recently with one of them. As I was posting in another thread, I was trying to recirculate wort through my CFC back into my brew kettle, and I just couldn't get any flow. The pump was properly primed, and later when I tried to pump into my fermenter (which was physically ~1 foot lower than the kettle), I was able to get it going. But it wasn't developing enough flow to recirc... The pump also seemed to be slow during sparge, but not quite as slow (largely because I was pushing through a much shorter length of tubing).

Anyone had issues like this? It seems to have gotten progressively worse over several batches recently. Is my pump dying, or do I perhaps need to do something with cleaning/etc? Normally after brewing I just spray hose water through the pump to clear any debris -- is it possible there's some chemical/mineral buildup in there that I need to get rid of?
Brad
DrDually

Re: Proper care and feeding of your March pump?

Post by DrDually »

Some things to check:
What size is pick up tube? If using 3/8 od tubing, it will choke the pump
Are you using lots of hops etc? I am using a filter from Brewers Hardwere to filter wort before hitting pumps.

After building a new stand, I decided to fabricate a backwash system that will clean plate chiller, pumps then pick up tubes. One thing you can also do is backwash pump and run into a bucket to check what has dislodged

One final thought is to run PBW thru system for 30 minutes then flush
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Just tear the head apart and see what it looks like inside. There's 4 screws to remove the head and then another 4 screws to remove the inner plate. It's simple to tear down and inspect.

Check if there is a white teflon washer on the impeller shaft between the impeller and head. If this tore and came off or is beat up, it can impede the rotation of the impeller.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Thanks. Glad to hear it's pretty easy to open up and inspect.

Dually, my one concern is that while my tubing is 1/2" OD, the QD is not a full open port, so I do worry it impedes flow -- especially on the mash/wort side where there might be hop or other material.

The good thing is that since my beer in fermenter is a saison that should sit for ~1 month, I think I'll have time to dig into this :-)
Brad
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

If you are having problems with the QD diameter, take a look at Brewers Hardware. Derrin has full 1/2" ID connectors so you could have a full 1/2" dia all the way to pump.
+1 on taking the pump apart and inspecting...it may be the real issue
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Make sure you lubricate it too.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's