Mash Tun 'Cooler' w/false bottom .. tubing issues

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Re: Mash Tun 'Cooler' w/false bottom .. tubing issues

Post by bwarbiany »

JonW wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:
JonW wrote:Maybe it's a sign to move on to different equipment? How about a keggle or kettle with a nice SS false bottom?
That's a good idea, but I think I've started to experience a similar problem using a keggle w/ SS false bottom. Over time, the lip of the false bottom has deformed a bit, and my last batch got horrific (~60%) efficiency and a pretty poor sparge. I'll be able to bend it back (I think), but a keggle & SS false bottom aren't exactly immune to an issue like this...
I think it depends on the actual false bottom. When I used keggles, I used an ABT false bottom and never had any issues. I had picked up that false bottom from BrianC and he had used it for quite a while before I started using it and it never showed any signs of wear or deforming.

This is the one I'm referring to: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/abt- ... elbow.html
Mine actually looks pretty similar to that one (without the enlarged hole). The lip has taken a few dings, and it appears that the weight of grain may have bent it *up* slightly from being placed at the bottom of the keggle. I don't think it's a major issue, and should be able to bend it back, but I think it's just enough to let grain through at the bottom and cause problems.
Brad
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Is there enough space under the false bottom to install a boil screen?
Midwest supplies has one that might work. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bazooka-t.html
Drink Good Beer!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

The Sabco false bottoms I have not deformed at all, but they aren't exactly cheap.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I was chatting with DrDually yesterday, and he suggest putting a stainless steel scrub pad under the false bottom at the tube out in the center. That should catch the larger loose grain bits that make it under there. I'll have to give it a try next batch. ( :happybeer: Thanks Chris!)

(But I may just get a new cooler as well...)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Getting ready to brew tomorrow on my existing Rubermaid cooler mashtun. I was unable to find any SS scrub pads, but found some copper ones. Giving them a 15-min boil now just to be sure they are clean & ready to go for the morning.

They were a bit thick, so I took a rolling pin to one and it flattened out enough to fit under the false-bottom.

I was also looking for a nut or tube to extend the pickup even lower under the false-bottom, but couldn't find anything short enough.

I've ordered a bunch of gear from Derrin for my new setup, so hopefully this will be on of the last times on my cooler based mash tun. :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Update: copper scrub pad under the false bottom worked like a champ!!! Excellent flow... 1st runnings drained in 3 minutes!
K:-)
--LexusChris
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Glad it worked for you
Care to join me next to brew a Russian Imperial Stout???
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Never tried brewing a RIS... although I sure enjoy drinking them!

I know those big beers can be a bit tricky.. when I did the Club Barrel Barleywine, I topped out my mash tun! Dang that was a lot of grain!
:cheers:
--LexusChris