how much did your first batch cost?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

nico soze

how much did your first batch cost?

Post by nico soze »

I'm hearing wildly different figures for what all this stuff is gonna cost. One guy said 150, another said close to 1000. I'm thinking around 300. There has got to be something I'm not thinking about. I need a steel pot, cleaner sanitizers. Ingredient, Ice, fermenting bucket, secondary carboy, bottling bucket, siphon, cool space, bottles caps and capper. Ill do the boil in the kitchen at least at first, and cool the wort using a sink full of ice. So what is it? The wort cooler and propane burner? Or what am I forgetting?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: how much did your first batch cost?

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

One of the great things about this hobby is that you can grow incrementally. Check out the starter kits at More Beer to get an idea of cost. Eric over at Homebrew Provisions can get you set up with all the necessary stuff. If you going to start off brewing extract batches in the kitchen, you can count on spending between 100 and 200 dollars for that first batch. After that, you will probably end up buying more bottles and ingredients, but the cost is significantly less since you already have all the base equipment.

Also, read chapter 1 of How to Brew before you do anything else. Trust me on this one.

Don't invest more in equipment than you are comfortable with. Start off small, and if you enjoy it then you can start investing in more equipment that will make the brew day more enjoyable and produce more consistent results.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

My sister was nice enough to buy me everything I needed as a Christmas present years ago. This was a deluxe starter kit from Northern Brewer, and she added on a 32 qt stainless kettle and a wort chiller, along with first ingredients, for a total cost of ~$200-250.
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Not the best bargain I've seen, but not too bad either. It might be worth an email to inquire further.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/2186794299.html
craigslist wrote:Beer brewing kit - $110 (Anaheim Hills)
Date: 2011-01-29, 10:19AM PST
Reply to: sale-jmuug-2186794299@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I bought this kit off amazon a few months ago - everything is included and works fine. I'm also throwing in an extra fermenting bucket ($15 value), my "how to brew" book ($11 value), and a brewing kettle ($60 value).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BT ... ss_product

http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everythi ... gy_k_img_b

These are all the tools you need to brew your own beer, get some ingredients and you're good to go!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2186794299
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Add this and you're almost set. Kegging might be jumping in too deep too fast, but you could easily resell the kegs for $30-$35 each.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/2186038096.html
craigslist wrote:Beer Brewing Equipment! Glass Carboys, Copper chiller, Soda Kegs. (Murrieta)
Date: 2011-01-28, 8:08PM PST
Reply to: see below

Beer Brewing Equipment! 2 Glass Carboys $30 each, Copper chiller $85, 2 Soda Kegs $25 each. These are all in great shape!

The Wort Chiller is in new condition, Cost new is $109.95 on morebeer. com All Copper tubing, with brass hose connections..

The Cornelius soda kegs are in decent shape, theres a little bit of cracks in the rubber bumpers on top, but doesn't affect the functionality whatsoever. They have new seals installed too, so no problems with leak-down on these. They come with the party dispensers and pin lock adapters and hose too.
If your looking to get into brewing, this is must have equipment. I brew beer and love it!! Very rewarding. These Items are all extras for me and no longer need them

Call or text 9five1 (265) (5659) Please include ad title when texting, thanks...

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 2186038096-0 image 2186038096-1
image 2186038096-2 image 2186038096-3
PostingID: 2186038096
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

BTW, I'm selling two glass carboys:

http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... =13&t=1914

Cheap.
Brad
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Does my list above look like it'll get me through a few batches though? I estimate all that at around 300. Sound about right?
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Wow. Brewers are certainly a helpful bunch. Thanx. I have the worst luck on Craigslist, though. I'm convinced that everyone using it are hookers, muggers, or west African scam artists. I have yet to meet an honest man on there.
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

So I think ill stick with retailers for now. Besides, I get to meet people and ask questions that way. Google maps only shows a few spots in my area. I've been to Addison to Meet eric, but stein fillers is NEVER open, and I don't think zymurguy really exists. There is no building at that address.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

The Zymurguy shop closed last year and sold it's remaining inventory to Eric.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

nico soze wrote:So I think ill stick with retailers for now. Besides, I get to meet people and ask questions that way. Google maps only shows a few spots in my area. I've been to Addison to Meet eric, but stein fillers is NEVER open, and I don't think zymurguy really exists. There is no building at that address.
Zymurgy still exists... in spirit at least. Actually BrianC on these boards was the owner/operator, however due to business reasons they closed there doors a few years ago. He still is an active homebrewer though and has some of the biggest baddest equipment in our club. He is also always free with advice and may very likely pipe in sometime.

Steinfillers has some frustrating business hours and there prices are slightly on the higher end of what I have seen at other LHBS's. They are also connected to the Long Beach Brewers Association.

Addisons I've never been to, but not for a lack of wanting. My time has been hell this past year and my homebrewing has suffered mightly.
Jon Image
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

So are those the only games in town? Southeast la northwest oc I mean.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Here's another Craigslist find: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fo ... 23931.html
Northern Brewer All Grain setup

I've had excellent results buying and selling brewing equipment on Craigslist. I can't really see where you can be scammed much since you are going to look at the equipment prior to buying it.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

JonW wrote:Here's another Craigslist find: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fo ... 23931.html
Northern Brewer All Grain setup

I've had excellent results buying and selling brewing equipment on Craigslist. I can't really see where you can be scammed much since you are going to look at the equipment prior to buying it.
I don't see a kettle in that set up, but I'm betting he has one. That looks like a pretty killer deal though.

+1 on the craigslist homebrewers. I'm sure there are a few bad apples, but in general all homebrewers as you have discovered are generally a helpful brotherhood.
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

nico soze wrote:So are those the only games in town? Southeast la northwest oc I mean.
There is also morebeer in Riverside (and online)
http://morebeer.com/search/103658

And O'Shaes in south OC
http://www.osheabrewing.com/
Jon Image