im new!

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Re: im new!

Post by JonGoku »

Out of curiosity, what was/is your expected budget? I'm assuming you may be leaning towards the "buy it only once" camp which I think a majority of us including myself lean towards, but great beer can be made with some of the lowliest equipment and would really be the safest bet to see if you really like the hobby or not. Most the items you get in the very basic kits can be re-purposed as well in the event you do upgrade to bigger and badder equipment.

I'm sure Addison's gave you a good preview, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $15-$35 for an extract kit (ingredients only). A basic basic brand new set up equipment wise can run you between $60-$100 depending on if you have a pot or kettle already.

Craigslist is also a nice place to keep an eye out to pick up used and sometimes brand new brewing kits. If you're curious if something you find online or offline is a good deal or not, don't fear to post up on the boards about it to get advice.

Cheers! :cheers:
Jon Image
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

I think I want to start out with 2 buckets and a carboy. I'm gonna need a kettle and a fridge. I'm gonna wait to get the outdoor propane. And I figure in for a penny in for a pound, might as well get the full pound of cleaner and all the little bells and whistles
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

I'm planning about 300 out the door, maybe a little more. Steel pot, deluxe starter kit. Used fridge. One set of specialty grain ingredients.