Ranco Controller for a smoker?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Ranco Controller for a smoker?

Post by bwarbiany »

I was recommending a Ranco controller to a friend that needs to keep a water bath at 110 deg F for making yogurt, and in doing so perused the spec page for the Ranco controller. It appears to have a set point up to 220 deg F.

I immediately thought of this: Alton Brown Terracotta Smoker

Any reason I wouldn't want to use this as a controller?
Brad
jward

Re: Ranco Controller for a smoker?

Post by jward »

At that temp you would be fine. You probably still want a SS thermo well. I doubt the Ranco probe can be placed in water. Have you considered a submersible aquarium water heater? I always liked Eheim products for quality plus their water heaters stay where you set them.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Sorry... I guess I wasn't clear.

The other guy would potentially use it for yogurt.

*I* would be trying to use it as the temp control for a smoker. The output would go to a hot plate with a pan full of wood chips on the top of it, and the temperature would probably be set somewhere in the 210 deg F range. Essentially the purpose would be to automate the temp control for smoking pork over a 10-12 hour time frame without having to manually control it.

I worry about two things:

1) The ability of the probe to deal with both the heat and the smoke.
2) Whether or not alternating on/off on a hot plate would keep the wood continually smoking, rather than using a lower power setting for the hot plate and keeping it constantly turned on.
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote: I worry about two things:

1) The ability of the probe to deal with both the heat and the smoke.
2) Whether or not alternating on/off on a hot plate would keep the wood continually smoking, rather than using a lower power setting for the hot plate and keeping it constantly turned on.
Both good points. I wouldn't choose a Ranco for this. I also don't think the onboard relay could handle 1000 watts for long, but I'd have to look up the specs again for that.

I think you'd be better off with a generic PID controller and a thermocouple. If there is a spike in temp, it won't destroy your sensor like would happen with thermistor from a Ranco. The PID can also 'throttle' the element to provide more consistent heat. Thermocouples can withstand temperatures in the thousands so that wouldn't be an issue.

I didn't get a chance to read the whole article, but an intriguing project.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Have you registered SmokersHardware.com yet? :)
backyard brewer

brahn wrote:Have you registered SmokersHardware.com yet? :)
hehehehe not yet.

Reading through a lot of people's comments on that blog, it looks like the element dies with regularity. I wonder if one of those electric briquette starters might not make a good element. Probably way to hot on it's own, but PID controlled it would probably work great. I think fitment would be the issue if anything.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Okay, sounds like it's not worth it. Given the rarity I plan to use a smoker, if I do build it I'll probably just stick with manual control (at least until I've finished all my other projects -- i.e. brew sculpture fitted for NG) for now...
Brad
backyard brewer

Yeah, it definitely has the coolness of the DIY factor but at the end of the day, probably much better off with a real smoker. I plan on retiring the one I have and buying a 'real' one pretty soon. I probably use my smoker as often as I use my grill. There is nothing like pulled pork that's been on for 8+ hours.... MMmmmmmmmmmmmm pulllllled.... pork.....

I think Brewers Hardware needs BGE for R&D work... :D