Dry run on new equipment

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

thetonka

Dry run on new equipment

Post by thetonka »

I post this over on B3, but thought I would post here as well since you guys have been so helpful in the past. I did a dry run last sat on the new setup. Worked well, but I have a few bugs to work out. Heat is a real problem, the burners are scary. I need to add some heat shielding and get a longer hose to move it farther from the gas main.

Here are the pics.

Any critiques or advice is welcome.

We are having a club brew day sat, and I can't wait. This will be the first batch on the new system, and my first all grain.
===========================
Still learning and loving the home brew
www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President

You are a pawn of my evil intent!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I'm assuming by the un-cut u-bolts that you have been playing with the height of the burners. Are you able to raise them a bit?
thetonka

Post by thetonka »

I could adjust the height by adding spacers. I still have everything in kind of a temporary location. I may have to relocate the mounting bracket. I am thinking about notching the cross piece to get it a little farther away from the flame. If I do that I will need to rebuild the arms the burners are on.

I am going to hack off the ends of the ubolts probably tomorrow night. Funny how I am getting a LOT of flack over my uncut u-bolts. :lol:
www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President

maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I've never used that type of burner, so I'm not sure but it seems like that burner is made to be closer to the kettle.

Yeah, the u-bolts bug. :P
thetonka

Post by thetonka »

Those burners on full are SCARY.

I promise to cut off the extra ubolt length before I take any more pictures or bring it out into public.

I need to get some pipe so I can hook it up a little farther away from the gas meter. I am going to order a hose and QD so I can brew farther down the driveway, but thats gonna take a while to get here.
www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President

spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Lookin' good Tonka! I can help out with some heat shields if you need some. I can get round sheet metal duct that you can notch for the gas line and it'll direct the heat towards the kettles.

You can go to your local big box hardware store and buy some black iron gas piping and couplings to move it farther.

I'd keep it at least 3' away from the gas meter to be on the safe side.

BTW, are you guy's planning on going to the So Cal Homebrew Fest this year? I'm going to a planning meeting on Sat. and have a couple of sites already reserved.

go to www.calhomebrewers.org for the information.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
thetonka

Post by thetonka »

Thanks Lyn, I may hit you up for the shielding.

We are going to the fest. We have 5 sites reserved as a club but I don't know how many people are going yet. I am going to be talking to Jim(2007 president) about it Sat. We have a few people that aren't going due to the new location. :roll:
www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Hey Tonka,

I'm in the process of building new system now and it will be very similar looking to yours. I am going with two pumps and the smaller burners. Those burners of your are pretty scary!! :shock: Luckily, I have a gas stub in the back yard I can use so I don't have to be right next to the meter. jward, our club treasurer, bought a B3 1550 last year and he uses some hoses and QDs to connect to his gas. You might hit him up if you have any questions about that.

For the SCHF, we are all pretty much in camp sites B12-B19. Do you know where you guys are staying?

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
thetonka

Post by thetonka »

I'll have to check what campsites we have I'll have to check. We should definitely plan on partying at the fest.

I have a gas stub in the backyard that I have my grill hooked up to. Right now my backyard is all mud and in the front I have a nice new driveway. Plus the line in the backyard is 1/2" and I really want to run the 3/4" I think I have it all figured out now. I will be moving the setup to the other side of the driveway eventually but for now I am just adding some heat shields. I hit up jward to see where he got his hose and QD.

www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President