Taking samples from a sanke fermenter

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Taking samples from a sanke fermenter

Post by brahn »

I know there are a few others out there using the Brewer's Hardware sanke fermenter kit. Have any of you come up with a solution to easily pull samples?

It would be nice to be able to check the gravity and taste to see how the beer is progressing. I don't really want to go the route of taking off the blowoff, hooking up co2 and connecting a racking tube because that's a lot to sanitize for a quick sample and it seems like it would be tough to get just a couple ounces that way. It's not really necessary since I generally let the beer sit in primary for 2-4 weeks, but I've had a few batches where I thought to myself that I'd like to take a sample.
jward

Re: Taking samples from a sanke fermenter

Post by jward »

I have only used my Brewer's Hardware sanke fermenter kit once and only pulled the sample as I racked to kegs. I left the racking cane in and sanitized. I didn't think it would be that much work to pull the blowoff and push some CO2. The alternative seems to be pull the kit and use a wine thief if its long enough. Does this mean you don't leave the racking cane in ready to go? I hope someone has a clever idea. I plan to use the kit for lagers where I will want to pull samples.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I have a fitting built into my blowoff tube to mate with my CO2 tank, so there's no need to pull the tube and attach CO2 separately.

As for the racking cane, I leave mine in all the time (steam sterilized with everything else prior to filling the fermenter) with the cap on. But I eschew taking samples as I don't want to worry about contaminating the racking cane or removing it. So I don't know a good way to pull the sample from a racking cane and then sanitize it again to leave longer.
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I do leave the racking cane in all the time, although I sanitize it separately on brewday.