Chugger Pumps

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Chugger Pumps

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:I've never heard of these chugger pumps until this thread, I'd like to see it jward.
Not to hijack, but they are like a March 809 but with a stainless pump head and they only run $99. I plan on getting one to so if there is any way for me to chuck it up, turn off the threads and weld a TC flange to it.

brahn
Site Admin

Chugger Pumps 2

Post by brahn »

That thing would be sweet with TC fittings welded on.
dhempy

Re: Stuck Mash

Post by dhempy »

Someone already beat you to it Derrin:

I'm gonna get a couple of those SS casings and "upgrade" my March pumps.
</end of hijack>

Dan
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Chugger Pumps 2

Post by JonW »

I switched all my pumps to the chugger SS heads and I'm quite happy with them. Even with their rough casting and threads, you never need to worry about snapping the threads off like the March ones.
backyard brewer

Re: Chugger Pumps

Judging from the photo, it looks like they just welded on FPT fittings which is not ideal. Where was that original thread?
backyard brewer

Re: Chugger Pumps 2

JonW wrote:I switched all my pumps to the chugger SS heads and I'm quite happy with them. Even with their rough casting and threads, you never need to worry about snapping the threads off like the March ones.
I don't see the heads on their site. Did you just call them up or something? How much?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I bought them from his Ebay store. The first SS head I bought was $50. Then last month I ordered two more heads at $40 each. He sent me one SS replacement head and another SS head and pump - for $80 total. Cool guy.

Here's the head by itself: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0606933368
backyard brewer

Thanks, just ordered up a pair, will see what I can do.

Dan, they really should be welded from the face of the TC fitting, otherwise you have a seam in there and you'd be better off just threading an adapter on. My hope is that I can fabricate a fixture to hold the head so I can machine the threads off, leaving a step that'll pass through a TC flange and weld from the face. No hidden seam.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hey Derrin:

I agree totally ... that thread is over on homebrewtalk. I don't think the poster was doing anything but showing his TC mods (i.e. no sales pitch). I just wanted you to see what it would look like done (even if it isn't up to Brewer's Hardware standards :wink: ).

Also, one can upgrade to the 815 impeller if more "oomph" is needed (like pushing through a chillus convolutus before going back to the HLT and or Mashtun :happybeer: ).

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

So what is the allure of these pumps over the standard March pumps? Low price? Stainless head? Beyond that, I'm not seeing a difference.
Brad
backyard brewer

bwarbiany wrote:So what is the allure of these pumps over the standard March pumps? Low price? Stainless head? Beyond that, I'm not seeing a difference.
I dunno... Those are 2 pretty big selling points if you ask me. But beyond that, I'm don't believe there is a difference.
jward

Post by jward »

backyard brewer wrote:they really should be welded from the face of the TC fitting, otherwise you have a seam in there and you'd be better off just threading an adapter on.
It looks like they welded the face too.
jward

Post by jward »

backyard brewer wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:So what is the allure of these pumps over the standard March pumps? Low price? Stainless head? Beyond that, I'm not seeing a difference.
I dunno... Those are 2 pretty big selling points if you ask me. But beyond that, I'm don't believe there is a difference.
Cheaper and SS was reason enough for me to buy one over the more expensive poly one.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

backyard brewer wrote:
That's fair -- just wondering. Those two advantages might be enough to make me choose the Chugger over March if I was starting from scratch, but since I've already got two March pumps, there's not any reason to switch now.

I don't have an issue with the poly (my fittings stay on 100% of the time). But my one pump that's used *only* for hot wort and is self sterilized during use can be a bitch to prime (especially when hooked to the boil kettle), so if it was a pump that didn't need to be primed I might consider it to be used for my transfers from kettle through chiller to the fermenter.
Brad
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

After doing some research on these pumps, it seems there are indeed a copy of March pumps. One thing that keeps popping up is the attention to detail. Saw a few pics of poor quality threads and off center discharge holes on the stainless head. Has anyone else seen these issues? Has anyone purchased these pumps? I am interested to see if the quality has inproved.
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch