Fermenter Build

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Andysam

Fermenter Build

Post by Andysam »

Ok, so I am finally building my fermenter unit. It is going to be big enough for two Sankey kegs. I will be using the internals from 1 (possibly 2) mini fridges, and a temp control unit.
I have a few questions for the construction guys here.
1. I bought the expensive sheet insulation that has foil on one side. Should that foil backing be on the inside of the box, or glued to the plywood?
2. I would like to paint the whole inside and out of the box a glossy color, will spray glue adhere to that when I install the insulation? My reasoning for using a glossy color is so that it protects the wood against moisture. Would flat paint be just as good at this? I have some flat paint already and would not have to buy some glossy then.
3. Any ideas on a front door(s)? All around the front inside perimeter is 5/8ths inch board.

Thanks,
AndySam
fermenter.JPG
fermenter.JPG (20.56 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
backyard brewer

Re: Fermenter Build

Post by backyard brewer »

If you haven;t already bought or don't have the fridge(s) for the cooling source, I'd suggest finding a small window A/C unit. A dorm fridge is typically below 350 btu's but even a small window A/C is 5,000 btu's. The dorm fridge would work at holding temps but would not be as likely to be able to pull temps down if your wort going in wasn't already at temp, especially 2 sankes worth.

Gloss paint is more moisture resistent than flat, but you're going to cover that with foam so I don't think it will matter really.

You might look at hanging the dorm fridge door as your door. Some strategic galvanized flashing would provide for a magnetic seal, or you could just cut the whole front of the fridge off and integrate it into your box.
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

Thanks for those recommendations. I do already have the dorm fridge, that is why I wanted to go with it. I expect to have the wort at temp when I put it in the fermenter (never know though). I will look into the window unit. How cold can the window units get?

Great idea about using a fridge door!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Andysam wrote:How cold can the window units get?
Depends on how big an area and thermal load and all that good stuff, but I've brought about 4 gallons of glycol to 28* with a 6K unit without a lot of trouble. You need to bypass the thermostat in the unit obviously.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Be very careful taking apart that mini fridge as they aren't meant to be serviced. If the condenser is foamed into the shell, I wouldn't even try it.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

You can also increase cooling capacity by using a computer fan to circulate air over cold plate.
Also, baffles to direct air will add more capacity as well
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

I bought the expensive sheet insulation that has foil on one side. Should that foil backing be on the inside of the box, or glued to the plywood?
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I'd be inclined to put it on the outside as the foil is reflecting radiant heat.