Ball Lock Injector questions..

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Ball Lock Injector questions..

Post by lexuschris »

Hey all,

I purchased this portable ball lock injector system from Williams Homebrewing recently.

Last night was my first time trying to use it. I followed directions and put the ball lock connecter on first. Then preped the cartridge in the grey handle, and then attached to the connector.

Seems like all the gas immediately went out of the keg (was at 20 psi) and any further attempt to re-pressurize with the little co2 bottles, just created a slow leak out the top of the ball-lock connector.

Any ideas? Was I supposed to vent the keg CO2 pressure first? Is there some sort of seal inside the ball lock connector that I blew out?

Fortunately, I was just down the street from my house, and grabbed my 5# CO2 tank and used that for the evening. However, it would be handy to figure out this little portable one..

Thanks!
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Re: Ball Lock Injector questions..

Post by maltbarley »

I have one of those but have only used it a couple times. I never had a problem with leaking, though. Is that a ball lock connector (not the CO2 cartridge part) one that you have used before? I have had to replace the o-ring in the top of a couple of my ball lock connectors.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have used mine unit like this many times with no problems. It sounds like you might have a bad seal in your ball lock connector. One word of caution, never ever pull that trigger when the unit is attached to the ball lock connector but not connected to the keg. You will exlode your ball lock connector. I saw this happen at SCHF a few years ago and the guy was lucky he did not injure himself.

Just make sure everything is connected securely and it only takes a quick squeeze of the trigger to generate enough pressure to pour a pint.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Make sure your CO2 cartridges are Food Safe.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

oc eric wrote:Make sure your CO2 cartridges are Food Safe.
Funny, I buy my CO2 at a welding supply shop. I'll make sure it's food grade next time.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

maltbarley wrote:
Funny, I buy my CO2 at a welding supply shop. I'll make sure it's food grade next time.
I've thought about that too, I guess you never know what the quality of the CO2 is like. I think Eric is referring to the CO2 cartidges though. The Crossman brand ones have some oil in them, I believe.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
maltbarley wrote:
I've thought about that too, I guess you never know what the quality of the CO2 is like. I think Eric is referring to the CO2 cartidges though. The Crossman brand ones have some oil in them, I believe.
That's correct. Some of those little CO2 cartridges have an oil charge as well and that's the problem. Bulk CO2 is bulk CO2 and same thing with O2.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Aren't those cartridges a different length?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Had a chance to pull out the screwdriver today and take apart the gas ball-lock connecter on this. The o-ring was completely crooked when it was originally tightened down, and now creased in a very unflattering way. Definitely a faulty seal. I'll have to get a new o-ring for it...

Thanks for the info!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields