anyone know the strength of 1/8" acrylic sheets

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Andysam

anyone know the strength of 1/8" acrylic sheets

Post by Andysam »

I am looking to build a fermentation chamber and found a really good deal on this. I was going to use this acrylic (plexi-glass) as the inside bottom over my insulation board so that it would be easy to clean up any spills. I found this used sheet for 10% of what 1/4" would cost. The chamber is going to be big enough to fit two 15.5 gallon kegs in it, so the bottom will be about 40"x19". Is 1/8" strong enough to hold two kegs with about 10-13 gallons of beer in them? (the weight will be spread out.
dhempy

Re: anyone know the strength of 1/8" acrylic sheets

Post by dhempy »

I cannot say for sure about the strength but with some quick math, @ 8 lbs per gallon (roughly), and assuming that you have both of them in there with 10 gallons each, you're talking about 160 lbs. I think I'd want to support it. Can you put it over some 3/4 ply for instance? Or make a frame that can bear the weight directly and simply have the acrylic as a cover?

Dan
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

sorry Dan, did not explain it too well. It is just going to be a cover.

Here is a little more about the chamber I am going to build.
It will have a 2x2 perimeter frame with 3 2x2s across it. Then it will have a 1/2" plywood bottom, and a 1" (or 2 inch, not sure yet) insulation board bottom.

so, it will be plenty strong underneath it, I just want the plexi-glass for easy cleanup. Basically, if I were to put a sheet of 1/8" plexi-glass on the ground and put 2 full kegs on it, would it crack or hold up to the weight? The glass will only be so I can clean up any spills easy.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

It shouldn't be a problem holding the weight but maneuvering a full keg onto it without dropping one edge first may be tough. Can you double up the 1/8" sheet?
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

Yes, there should be enough to double up. I was thinking that plexiglass would be best for clean up, or do you think that a sheet of 1/2" plywood with a few coats of glossy paint would work just the same?
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Plexi is great and should work fine since the foam and board will support the weight and it's not a pin-point load. You might also want to look into the melanine boards that are out there. They have a while plastic surface that cleans up great.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

The problem with melamine is that the substrate is particle board which tends to act like a sponge around the edges.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

maltbarley wrote:The problem with melamine is that the substrate is particle board which tends to act like a sponge around the edges.
Yeah, that's true. You would want to seal the seal with silicone. It's just a thought. If the plexi is cheap enough use that.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hey Andy:

As others have mentioned, as long as it (the acrylic) is just a cover, you should be good to go. If you double it up, consider making the top one removable so you can take it out and wash it with a hose. And as Derrin suggested, silicone seal where appropriate. In my experience, no matter how careful you are, fermenting beer will find a way to make a mess. So assume that you'll have a spill of some sort, and seal things up appropriately.

Be sure to post some pics when you're up and running!

Dan