Keggle Set

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Maynerd

Keggle Set

Post by Maynerd »

I was offered this set for $300, do you think think this is a good deal?

Polished stainless steel kegs converted to kettles (keggles). Note that these are premium non-branded kegs that do not have brewery names stamped in them. These can be used for a RIMS, HERMS, electric or gas fired setup. Using 15.5 gallon keggles allows you to brew a full 10-12 gallon batch.

The mash tun keggle (pictured on left) includes a lid, visual sight glass for fill levels, SS ball valves for input & output, SS false bottom w/ dip tube & SS fittings.

The second keggle could be used for either a brew kettle or hot liquor tank (or a mash tun if you add a false bottom). It includes a SS ball valve on the output and a SS dip tube inside

I think this is a great find, but I am a nube to brewing.
Attachments
keggles.jpg
keggles.jpg (19.11 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
JonGoku

Re: Keggle Set

Post by JonGoku »

How much is $300 worth to you?

If you Google the cost of all the item listed and assume they are fair to good quality then the sum of the parts alone would probably come out to something around $300. If spending that much isn't a big deal then go for it.

I'd probably arrange a meeting to go look at them and then offer $200. See what the reaction is, then either offer $200 + some home brew, and if that fails offer $240 or $250 tops.

They're used so I'm sure you could find some "areas of concern" that might dampen the glory of "premium non-branded kegs".

Hang around though, others here will most likely have some better advice than mine.

Cheers!

:happybeer:
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Welded or weldless fittings? Also, there's no mention of thermowells which you probably want. It's a fair deal but I wouldn't call it a great deal.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I'd say it's a fair price if they are welded (right) but not a jump-in-your-car-and-get-them-right-now kind of deal. If you have the money and are in the market, then go for it. If you're still decided or not quite sure what all you want, a deal like this will come up again.

Or do what Jon suggested and low-ball 'em.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

backyard brewer wrote:IOr do what Jon suggested and low-ball 'em.
:cheers:
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

2 used kegs on craigslist (the illegal kind): $60-100 (for the pair, not individual)
Weldless ball valves @ B3: $35 each, so $70
False bottom, fittings: say $20
Sight glass + fittings: at least $25 (unnecessary, but a nice thing to have)

So building your own, not counting your time, will run $150 or more. To build them to this spec is probably closer to $200.

If you're a tinkerer and will get a lot of enjoyment out of building your own, it's not a fire-sale price. But if not, and you don't mind dropping a few bills on it, this looks like a decent deal (accounting for the fact that you can bargain down a bit).
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You guys kill me with all this lowballing. Here's how I see the cost of putting these together:

$100 - 2 Kegs (polished, not banged up, much nicer than 95% of the kegs you can find out there).
$ 60 - 4 SS Ball Valves
$ 52 - ABT False bottom from Northern Brewer w/ dip tube
$ 25 - sight glass & fittings.
$ 30 - SS nipples, lock nuts, O-rings, couplers
$ 15 - SS 3/8" Compression fitting for MLT FB dip tube
$ 15 - SS 1/2" Compression fitting for HLT dip tube
$ 10 - HLT SS 1/2" dip tube
$ 10 - Lid for mash tun
$ 15 - step bit to drill holes

$ 332 estimate from above items.

Add in additional costs for polishing compounds & pads, shipping and/or tax for items ordered via the internet, time/effort/sweat to build.

By the way, they sold pretty quick. :D
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

JonW wrote:By the way, they sold pretty quick. :D
LOL
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

maltbarley wrote:
JonW wrote:By the way, they sold pretty quick. :D
LOL