how much grain can you fit in **** mash tun?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Andysam

how much grain can you fit in **** mash tun?

Post by Andysam »

How many pounds of grain can you fit in a 10 gallon mash tun, or what about a 15 gallon keggle?
lexuschris

Re: how much grain can you fit in **** mash tun?

Post by lexuschris »

Other than experience with your particular mash tun setup, you can try the Can I Mash It? calculator.

Just put in your total mash grain weight & mash thickness, and it will tell you how much volume it consumes.

In my 10-gal round orange Rubbermaid cooler, with a SS false bottom, I once did a 19.5# grain bill and just about completely maxed it out... With a thicker mash... I might be able to hit 21#.. muhhahaahaa :D
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

Awesome! Thanks Chris!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

In my 15.5 gallon keggle, if I ****REALLY**** push it, I can hit 40 lbs. You can easily get to the low-mid 30's at reasonable mash thickness.
Brad
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

When I did the barrel barleywine, I mashed 40lbs. It was a thick mash and completely filled my keggle.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

A simple rule of thumb is that if your batch size is the same capacity as your mash tun (i.e. 10 gallon batch mashed in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler), you can max out somewhere around 1.070-1.075 OG. For any gravities higher than that, you need a bigger mash tun than your final volume or to add other non-mash fermentables.
Brad