New System Batch #1

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

New System Batch #1

Post by backyard brewer »

I have a lot of loose ends to tie up like mounting pumps and other stuff. Need dip tubes for the HLT and BK and need to weld in the whirlpool return on the boil kettle. Then there's installing the whole burner ignition stuff and hard mounting the electronics... Lots.

It went pretty good considering, actually really good right up to chilling and getting wort to the fermenter. Without the whirlpool return, I just dropped the hose end into the BK and with no way to direct it, just made a stirred up mess rather than a hop pile. Since I tried to recirc through the plate chiller and couldn't keep any hops out, I plugged the plate chiller really well, about 2/3 of the way through, so that sucked.

Next I realized I had robbed the transformer out of my glycol chiller and had no way to cool the conical really. So, I took a shelf out of The Big Fridge and stuffed the conical in there, dropped the temp sensor in the thermowell and called it good. Luckily there is not much else in there so nothing will suffer with a few days of 68* temps.

By then it was too late and dark to clean much else up so I just back flushed the chiller for about 30 minutes and will finish cleaning today.Image
oc eric

Re: New System Batch #1

Post by oc eric »

Looks good Derrin. Brewing for the first time in a long time or first time in a new location is difficult. Glad you were able to "Get 'er done." =)
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

That's some pretty fancy stuff!
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Wow, that's a great looking system. Congrats on the trial run.
Drink Good Beer!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

I hate you.
Kevin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Wow, that is beautiful! I really like those valves you're using. It looks like it's all running off a single propane tank? That tank must go fast! Why not NG?
backyard brewer

brahn wrote:Wow, that is beautiful! I really like those valves you're using. It looks like it's all running off a single propane tank? That tank must go fast! Why not NG?
The tank actually didn't go that fast, it's only a 10G system. This system is a prototype for stands I intend to sell, leading hopefully to turn-key systems. So far every one of my breweries that I sold the people wanted me to convert them from NG to propane :roll: I'll also want to be able to take it remote for demonstrations. When I settle on my own system, I'll go with NG. This stand will end up getting sold eventually.
backyard brewer

kevinham wrote:I hate you.
<Looking for the emoticon with the big giant kissy lips>

Love you back.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

backyard brewer wrote:
kevinham wrote:I hate you.
<Looking for the emoticon with the big giant kissy lips>

Love you back.
Where's JonGoku when you need him?
gromitdj

Post by gromitdj »

That looks awesome, Derrin!

I'm sad to see you ditched the iBrew, it inspired me to getting into the Arduino. I'm wrapping up my fermentation controller that "borrows" heavily from the code that you posted. I would have had a hard time programming for the rotary encoder without it.

Also, was just on the Brewer's Hardware site, and may I say it looks awesome.
Donnie
ArrogantDan

Post by ArrogantDan »

Awesome set-up!!! It makes More Beer's BrewSculpture look like my 4 yr old daughter's PlaySkool kitchenette. I want one.....
backyard brewer

gromitdj wrote:That looks awesome, Derrin!

I'm sad to see you ditched the iBrew, it inspired me to getting into the Arduino. I'm wrapping up my fermentation controller that "borrows" heavily from the code that you posted. I would have had a hard time programming for the rotary encoder without it.

Also, was just on the Brewer's Hardware site, and may I say it looks awesome.
Thanks for the complements guys. Like I said, still tons to do.

The iBrew was a really cool project and I really learned a lot. It also inspired the BrewTroller project as well. But once the BCS460 and BrewTroller came about, they were so much more capable than what I could do and more and more of my free time was drifting to Brewers Hardware; iBrew just sort of got left behind. Who knows, maybe I'll resurrect it one day.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

OK Derrin ... simply outstanding ... Brewer's hardware will be getting a bunch of my business!

Dan

BTW ... what kind of beer was Batch 1?
backyard brewer

dhempy wrote:OK Derrin ... simply outstanding ... Brewer's hardware will be getting a bunch of my business!

Dan

BTW ... what kind of beer was Batch 1?
Sort of an English Bitter. Marris Otter, handful of caramel 15, pinch of c60 for a little more color, EKG and Fuggles. 1.041 OG and about 28 IBU. Just used 05 yeast though since I didn't have anything "Englishy".