I'm upgrading!

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

I'm upgrading!

Post by Marotte Brewery »

After 4 years of extract brewing (with some all grain on friends systems mixed in), I am finally graduating!

Home Depot Special with a brass ball valve. I have to get the right sized washers to space the ball valve better to get the handle to be on top... details, details... (Notice the "Thank You" bag from Adison in the background)
Braided SS washer line with small PEX jumpers into brass T and PEX into Sharkbite fitting.
Zoom on the upside down ball valve. When right side up, the handle hits the side of the cooler and won't close the valve completely. To be fixed in the near future.

I also bought an Erlenmeyer Flask for yeast starters!
lexuschris

Re: I'm upgrading!

Post by lexuschris »

Congrats!!! :happybeer:

What are you planning for your first brew?
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Nice! I assume this is you switching from extract to all-grain, not just upsizing your current AG setup, right?

One bit of advice (that I learned the hard way). Make sure your first recipe is forgiving to low efficiency... I.e. shoot for a 6% amber/red ale that just might become a 5% hoppy pale ale if you miss your targets. Those first few batches, when you're dialing in the process and system, might have some inconsistent efficiency. Luckily, unlike me, you've actually observed all-grain brewers before your first batch, so you will have a leg up.

My first AG batch, I shot for a heavily-hopped IPA. I missed my efficiency by 10-15% which left the beer lower in gravity and MUCH higher in IBU. It was the wrong recipe for an untested brewing process.
Brad
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

The valves can be moved out by installing a s/s coupling. This will give you about 2 inches from current location. Consider cutting and welding the handle into an "L" shape if couplings are not an option
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Chrsi, I'm actually brewing my last extract batch today as a sort of send off. I wanted to brew the beer that I think was the best I ever made to submit to the Addison Extract Comp.

Brad, thanks for the advice about the first AG batch. A KISS beer would be a good start to dial in my new process. Less about the indredients and gravity, and more about the actual procedure.

Dually, I will be looking into that idea, as I hadn't even thought about that. Sounds like the best idea to me, thanks!
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Sweet !!!

That looks like a simple, effective, inexpensive mash tun.

Brad's advice is solid. My first two batches were terrible and I had my process all wrong. It takes a few batches to get it right.

The 2000 mL erlynmeyer flask is the way to go.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
BrewDale77

Post by BrewDale77 »

Congratulations on making the move to AG!
I also brew in Yorba Linda and have been doing AG for about 3 years.
Let me know when you're going to fire up those burners.

Cheers,

Matt Dale
Purse Perfection in a Pint
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

BrewDale77 wrote:Congratulations on making the move to AG!
I also brew in Yorba Linda and have been doing AG for about 3 years.
Let me know when you're going to fire up those burners.

Cheers,

Matt Dale
Nice avatar/picture Matt! BTW, his Pittbull "lady" is a sweetheart!
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway