Yeast Starter

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ArrogantDan

Yeast Starter

Post by ArrogantDan »

I'm gonna buy a yeast starter but wanted to know if a 2000 mL flask is big enough for high gravity (1.065 OG and up) 10 gal batches. Anyone?
backyard brewer

Re: Yeast Starter

Post by backyard brewer »

ArrogantDan wrote:I'm gonna buy a yeast starter but wanted to know if a 2000 mL flask is big enough for high gravity (1.065 OG and up) 10 gal batches. Anyone?
For ales up to ~ 1.085 yes. Lagers a 1G or 5L starter is better. Anything over about 1.090 or so I like to pitch on a yeast cake. When i make a scotch ale for example, I'll make a scottish 60- ahead and pitch the big wort on the cake (or most of it) from the first beer.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

ArrogantDan wrote:I'm gonna buy a yeast starter but wanted to know if a 2000 mL flask is big enough for high gravity (1.065 OG and up) 10 gal batches. Anyone?
What yeast strain? My general rule is that if there's a dry yeast strain, I'll use it. And since 3 packets of dry costs about the same as 1 vial of liquid, plus all the cost of making starters (i.e. buying DME if you don't have wort ready on hand), I simply buy enough dry yeast to be sure I'm pitching proper amounts. The most I've ever done is buying 6 packets of dry for a high-gravity 15-gallon batch. I usually buy 3-4 packets for my 10 gallon batches, depending on gravity.

For liquid (on the rare occasions I use it), I usually try to do a 1L starter (in a 2L flask). But I rarely brew above about 1.070, so if you're going to be brewing 10 gal high gravity on a regular basis, I'd get the 5000 mL flask -- and a stir plate -- from brewershardware.com
Brad
jward

Post by jward »

You might check out Mr. Malty's Pitching Rate Calculator to see how much to pitch and starter size.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

If you brew 10G batches you should get a 5L flask for your starters. If you go for the recommended pitching rates, a 3.5L starter on a stir plate (from Brewer's Hardware of course!) is about right for a 1.050 OG beer.

Oh, and I 100% agree with bwarbiany, if you can use dry, do it!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have two 1L flasks, a 2L flask, and a 5L flask. I use them all. The key is getting a stirplate that can handle all of them and Brewers Hardware is the one I use. Dry yeast is great, but I have heard that it is not so great if you plan on repitching the yeast into another batch. I brew quite a bit and I like the variety of using different liquid yeasts (especially lager yeasts) and being able to repitch. I just got in the habit of using liquid yeast a long time ago and so now it is just another part of my brewing process.

Get a big flask, get a stirplate, use Mr. Malty's pitching rate calculator.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
tylking
Pro Brewer

Post by tylking »

There's nothing wrong with using dry yeast in serial re-pitching. Most people do not know how to properly use and manage it, that's why people have issues with re-pitching dried yeast.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

tylking wrote:There's nothing wrong with using dry yeast in serial re-pitching. Most people do not know how to properly use and manage it, that's why people have issues with re-pitching dried yeast.
I was hoping you would chime in on this Tyler. So, when are we getting another offering of your class?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
tylking
Pro Brewer

Post by tylking »

Not sure... :)
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

tylking wrote:Most people do not know how to properly use and manage it, that's why people have issues with re-pitching dried yeast.
This is begging for a longer explanation Tyler. :)
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
tylking wrote:There's nothing wrong with using dry yeast in serial re-pitching. Most people do not know how to properly use and manage it, that's why people have issues with re-pitching dried yeast.
I was hoping you would chime in on this Tyler. So, when are we getting another offering of your class?
Seriously... I would really like to take your class Tyler.
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

I don't know the first damn thing about yeast, and I'm a hardcore academic so I would ALSO like to take a class on this if possible. Sign my ass UP
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I think I would also make the trek for Tyler's yeast class.

Dan
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Where do I sign up? K:-)
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I ask him that all the time...and get the same answer.

Maybe we need to talk to his boss. :lol: