Yeast Starter

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

tylking
Pro Brewer

Re: Yeast Starter

Post by tylking »

it's something I can look into... I might have to freshen up on a few things before I hold one.

I currently don't have the time to write anything down but I'm usually always at the Bruery Friday nights and I love talking about yeast!
ArrogantDan

Post by ArrogantDan »

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I'm going with a 5L and stirplate (from Brewer's Hardware of course). FYI, i generally use liquid from White Labs because I've had pretty good results and I'm a Creature of Habit.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

This is my first attempt as using a starter. In past have always had success using a single container of liquid yeast but decided to add considerably more yeast to higher gravity brews.

After sitting on stirplate for 48 hours, starter will then rest in refrigerator until Saturday morning.

I will post stirplate and fermentation results later this weekend...stay tuned
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

DrDually wrote:This is my first attempt as using a starter. In past have always had success using a single container of liquid yeast but decided to add considerably more yeast to higher gravity brews.
I'd go away from the single-vial liquid yeast method... IMHO there is just too big of a chance to get off flavors from the yeast spending excessive time in their reproduction phase. With a typical liquid vial and no starter, you're drastically underpitching, even with good yeast.

From the Mr Malty calculator, they recommend (for a 1.050 ale w/ 1 month old yeast) 2.4 vials of liquid yeast. More if the yeast is older. I'd highly recommend a starter for any beer you're using liquid. For the same ale, it recommends 0.9x 11.5g packets of dry, and 2 packs of dry is less expensive than a single vial of liquid.
Brad
jward

Post by jward »

bwarbiany wrote:For the same ale, it recommends 0.9x 11.5g packets of dry, and 2 packs of dry is less expensive than a single vial of liquid.
So, 1 packet is the recommended and 2 packets is over pitching.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

jward wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:For the same ale, it recommends 0.9x 11.5g packets of dry, and 2 packs of dry is less expensive than a single vial of liquid.
So, 1 packet is the recommended and 2 packets is over pitching.
1) Usually I'm making 10 gallons, so 3:2 ratio (for this gravity) is not overpitching as much.
2) I don't think overpitching, at least at these rates, is much of a problem. Certainly not as big of a problem as underpitching.
3) Given the unknown quantities (yeast storage conditions) I can't assume the viability rates are what the Mr Malty calculator predicts. Overpitching gives me insurance against this.
Brad
jward

Post by jward »

bwarbiany wrote:1) Usually I'm making 10 gallons, so 3:2 ratio (for this gravity) is not overpitching as much.
If the gravity calls for 90% of 1 packet for 5 gallons then 2 packets for 10 gallons is not overpitching as much. 3 packets seems more like a waste then good insurance.
bwarbiany wrote:2) I don't think overpitching, at least at these rates, is much of a problem. Certainly not as big of a problem as underpitching.
2 packets is hardly underpitching. Especially is you rehydrate before pitching.
bwarbiany wrote:3) Given the unknown quantities (yeast storage conditions) I can't assume the viability rates are what the Mr Malty calculator predicts. Overpitching gives me insurance against this.
You make excellent beer and I wont try to tell you to change. I will argue with the advice to overpitch.

From the Mr. Malty site:You might ask why not pitch as much yeast as possible? There is also an upper limit to how much yeast you should add. Logsdon says, “I try to stay within 20% of my ideal pitch rate and I prefer to slightly under pitch rather than over pitch. This causes more cell growth, more esters, and better yeast health. Over pitching causes other problems with beer flavor, such as a lack of esters. Changes in the flavor profile are noticeable when the pitch rates are as little as 20% over the recommended amount.”