False bottom for keg mashtun

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

False bottom for keg mashtun

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I am looking at different options for converting a keg to a mashtun. Morebeer has this contraption. Anyone have any experience with this? I am open to suggestions if anyone has experience in this area.

By the way, Yeast Killer is picking up the steel for my Brutus brew stand today.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
lars

Re: False bottom for keg mashtun

Post by lars »

BrewMasterBrad wrote: By the way, Yeast Killer is picking up the steel for my Brutus brew stand today.
Sweet! Are you going with stainless or mild steel? I ended up opting for plain old mild steel. Much less expensive. Just a quick FYI... the Brutus is WAY overbuilt. We ended up not putting in the vertical between the top and bottom because there is no way in hell it needs it. I could jump up and down on the thing all day long and it wouldn't even flex.

As for my MT, I'm going to go with a stainless braid with a piece of coiled copper wire inside it to keep it from collapsing.
Shut up and brew
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Mild steel. Stainless is just too damn expensive.

I'm not using the sealed tube for the gas. Just good old galvanized piping. I'm using NG with two 100,000 BTU burners from B3 that I bought from jward. One burner under the kettle and one under the HLT.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Mine is set up very similar with this as the false bottom. With the inside tube I lose very little liquid to dead space.

A 10" screen seems a little small.
lars

Post by lars »

I'm not doing the gas beam either. I bought all the galvanized pipe to do the job. Now I just have to find the time to do it!
Shut up and brew
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Lars wrote:I'm not doing the gas beam either. I bought all the galvanized pipe to do the job. Now I just have to find the time to do it!
You shouldn't use galvanized pipe with gas. The galvanize can flake off and clog the jets causing issues. That's why black pipe is the recommended pipe for gas applications.

It'll probably never be an issue, but that's what is recommended.
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

I agree with Derrin. We never use galv. for gas because of the flaking issue. Life's too short to cause someone's new furnace to blow up on them. The same can be said for copper, except it can seperate at the seam over time.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
lars

Post by lars »

Uh, ok I thought the black stuff was galvanized. Either way... I bought the black stuff. So I think I'm in good shape!
Shut up and brew
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Galvanized pipe is silver and is....well.......galvanized! LOL. black iron pipe is all you need for gas. Copper works fine as well but is no longer to code for permanent installations. Turns out the oderant they use so you can detect a gas leak decays into nitric acid and eats the copper inside out causing pinhole leaks over many years. pinhole leaks + flammable gas = bad thing. In a system like a brew stand that wouldn't be under pressure 24/7/365 copper would probably last forever.
thetonka

Post by thetonka »

Use black pipe, it should be right next to the galvanized.

I tried to use the cross piece as the gas source for my stand, but I had problems with the fit of the fittings I used(my fault bought wrong sized hole saw :roll: ), and while I was trying to fill in the gas I got it too hot and cracked the fitting in the threads.

Black pipe is safer IMHO, unless you are really confident in your welding skills.
===========================
Still learning and loving the home brew
www.fastdogbrewing.com

TVHA President

You are a pawn of my evil intent!