20-25 gallon fermenter

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Andysam

20-25 gallon fermenter

Post by Andysam »

Is there a cheap 20-25 gallon fermenter that anyone knows of? I searched for a plastic drum, but no dice. It would have to be under 31 inches tall.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: 20-25 gallon fermenter

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Check out US Plastics. They might have what you are looking for. Just remember, if you are going to have a fermenter that big and you are planning on moving it while full, you'd better start working out now.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Re: 20-25 gallon fermenter

Post by bwarbiany »

I used to ferment in a 20 gallon "wine fermenter". http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/ ... DA_Plastic

That's a euphemism for "food-grade garbage can" BTW.

Overall it worked pretty well most of the time, but since the lid doesn't seal there's some concern about infection -- which only happened to me when fruit flies introduced the infecting bacteria.

it's cheap and easy, but it's not the best solution available. If you're trying to do a one-time big brew, it's probably just fine, but I ended up dropping to 10 gallon batches in order to move to a sealed stainless steel fermenter.
Brad