Pin-lock post remover

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Pin-lock post remover

Post by JonGoku »

Any advice on how to cheaply assemble/disassemble a pin-lock keg?

I know they have special sockets at B3 for $15, but that seems a bit silly in price for what you're getting. I hear you can get a spark plug wrench and cut slots in at the apexes so maybe I'll have to try that. I'm sure Big Lots or maybe even a dollar store would carry those.

Edit: Are the poppets in pin-locks the same as ball-locks?
Jon Image
kevinham

Re: Pin-lock post remover

Post by kevinham »

Everything you need to know about soda kegs.
http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm
Kevin
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote:Any advice on how to cheaply assemble/disassemble a pin-lock keg?

I know they have special sockets at B3 for $15, but that seems a bit silly in price for what you're getting. I hear you can get a spark plug wrench and cut slots in at the apexes so maybe I'll have to try that. I'm sure Big Lots or maybe even a dollar store would carry those.

Edit: Are the poppets in pin-locks the same as ball-locks?
It does seem silly, but unless you have the tools to cut the slots, $15 is a great deal. With a lot of determination, a bench vice and a lot of sweat, you could do it with a hack saw, but a cut-off wheel in a chop saw or angle grinder is what you really need.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Did I mention how much I like my ball-lock kegs?
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

kevinham wrote:Everything you need to know about soda kegs.
http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm
Well geez Kevin, why'd you have to give me everything I need to know? I only asked for some of it! j/k Awesome reference site, thanks!
maltbarley wrote:Did I mention how much I like my ball-lock kegs?
Yeah, I'd have to agree, and I have 2 of those as well which are already prep'd etc., however I'm dealing with a height issue with my fridge. If I use pin-locks I can get away without removing the bottom shelf and needing to create my own.
backyard brewer wrote: a cut-off wheel in a chop saw or angle grinder is what you really need.
Awesome, I've got one of those, just need to find a cheap socket.
BTW if it's easy, you might consider adding it to your catalog. I bet you wouldn't even have to stock parts as you could wait to buy a socket until an order has been made. Once you verify if there is a demand you could then consider purchasing material in bulk. K:-)
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Just fyi, the posts are interchangeable between pin and ball lock. I happened upon a very good deal on pin lock kegs, once, and just swapped the posts. I kept the old parts just in case someone, somewhere shows up with a pin lock keg.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

maltbarley wrote:Just fyi, the posts are interchangeable between pin and ball lock.
According to the everything link Kevin posted, your right, but only for cornelius to cornelius. which I assume means, firestones don't work.
The everything link Kevin posted wrote:The question often arises as to whether or not Ball-lock and Pin-lock kegs posts can be interchanged. If the threading is the same, the answer is yes, on certain sizes they can be interchanged. New posts are generally as much as the cost of a used keg and so most people opt to purchase disconnects instead. The only straightforward interchangeability is Cornelius to Cornelius.
Jon Image
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

JonGoku wrote: According to the everything link Kevin posted, your right, but only for cornelius to cornelius. which I assume means, firestones don't work.
I know we've been over this before Jon ... but this time it should be " you're right" :cheers:

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I didn't say anything... :happybeer:

I've been pretty fortunate, I guess, in that all of my kegs are Cornelius (or the same thread)