Starting My New Build

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Starting My New Build

Post by backyard brewer »

It's like Christmas here today. 3 new kettles just dropped off by UPS and by dropped I mean they of course dented one <sigh>. I ordered 2 15 gallon and 1 20 gallon for the boil kettle. Now I just need to figure out where I really want everything and start popping holes in them. These are from the same source B3 & Norhern Brewer get their HD & 'Mega' kettles, just unmodified.

JonGoku

Re: Starting My New Build

Post by JonGoku »

backyard brewer wrote:3 new kettles just dropped off by UPS and by dropped I mean they of course dented one <sigh>.
That sucks about the dent, anything you can do about it or are you SOL? I can't wait to see pictures (and eventually the real deal) of your build as you put it all together. Definitely keep us posted.

Cheers!
Jon Image
brianc

Post by brianc »

Whoo hoo! K:-) :cheers:

That sucks about the kettle though.
backyard brewer

I'll call the company tomorrow and I'm sure they'll file a UPS claim. It's just the disappointment. I could use the pot but if they're going to have dents, I want to dent them myself!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Yep, they certainly look like the B3 kettles.
Kevin
backyard brewer

backyard brewer wrote:I'll call the company tomorrow and I'm sure they'll file a UPS claim. It's just the disappointment. I could use the pot but if they're going to have dents, I want to dent them myself!
So they were great about it. Left me a message, said UPS would be by within 7 days to get it and they already ordered me a new one. That's where it all went horribly wrong. About 10 minutes after UPS picked up the dented one, I get the call back: "Sorry, the vendor notified us they are on back order until April." :-( So I said, OK, just send me another 60qt then. "No, they are on back order on ALL their stainless pots until April"

Odds are it'll be April by the time I actually need the 3rd pot anyway at this rate, but still...
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

backyard brewer wrote:
Odds are it'll be April by the time I actually need the 3rd pot anyway at this rate, but still...
Only one thing to do!

TOGA PARTY!
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
backyard brewer

Well I finally made some time to start welding my stand. It's about 80% done (only the Brew Stand). I'll take some picts as soon as I put it on wheels and can get it out of my shop where I can actually get far enough away from it to take a picture.... I need more room....

I ordered a plate chiller with 1" socket weld fittings so I can weld in some 1" tri clover fittings.

I just ordered the replacement kettle for the damaged one. I decided to go 15 gallon for all three rather than a 20 for the boil. If it have been the same diameter but taller that would have been cool, but I don't really like the larger diameter.

I can't wait to actually brew again!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Outstanding ... glad to hear it and cannot wait to see the pics. I will be sure to steal your best ideas when I redo mine!

Dan

P.S Howdy from Lake Tahoe where it is blizzard conditions!
backyard brewer

OK, here are some quick picts. There are a few welds left to do and then they all need to be cleaned and passivated. I just welded the ferrule into the kettle, it still needs to be passivated as well but at least I'm getting somewhere. These ball valves I'm using are pretty sweet. They weigh 2.6 pounds each though!

oc eric

Post by oc eric »

I'm drooling :mrgreen:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Very nice Derrin!

Dan
backyard brewer

Finally made some time today to get something done on my own stuff! I got my burner mount/heatshields in. At first I was going to mount them with bolts. So I drilled holes in the frame and tried to tap them. About an hour later with the crappy-ass taps set I have I finally just broke out my hot glue gun and mounted them with that...

maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

The hot glue looks nicer anyway. :cheers:
backyard brewer

Did a burn test today. Hopefully I'll be making beer next weekend.

Funny thing; I have 3 different burners on it to test out. I assumed the big giant Banjo burner would heat the fastest, but not the case. Actually the inexpensive turkey-fryer type ring burner outperformed both the other burners. The 3rd burner is a smaller low-pressure propane burner. To be fair though, I don't think I have that mounted close enough to the kettle. i would have had to cut my burner mount ring and I didn't want to .

I didn't shoot any pictures during the burn, but I'll snap picts of the 3 burners when i can.