30PSI Conicals

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

30PSI Conicals

Post by backyard brewer »

First let's assume you were in the market for a high-end conical on par or better than the B3 2.0 series or Blichmann. Would an option to pressurize the conical to 30PSI be worthwhile to you? The trade off would be a heavier lid with series of hold-down screw clamps instead of a single large clamp, picture a giant tri-clover clamp. The alternative would still hold enough pressure to move beer around, but you couldn't carbonate in the conical.

Is this an option you would A) Pay slightly more for? B) Would sway you to buy over the other 2 brands at the same price?

I guess I should add that this would be for conicals in the 5-20 gallan batch size.
jward

Re: 30PSI Conicals

Post by jward »

I have interest in pushing the beer around not carbonating it. That said, I would like to use a vessel that can hold more then the 2-3 PSI Blichmann recommends. I would like to push with 10-12 PSI which arguably would be carbonation level at cold temps. Having a QD for pressuring would be a welcome feature too.

I guess I would value that feature in terms of choice and money.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I don't think I'd be interested in carbonating in a conical, as I wouldn't want to have to deal with moving the carbonated beer to another vessel.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I would value it over the others but wouldn't want to budge too far from that range.
brianc

Post by brianc »

I would be interested in something like that. Would particularly be handy for a "lager" if one could get a pitch of WLP925.
WLP925 HP Lager Yeast
Use to ferment lager beer in one week! Ferment at room temperature 62-68°F) under 1.0 bar (14.7 PSI) until final gravity is obtained, generally in one week. Lager the beer at 35°F, 15 PSI, for 3-5 days, to condition. Sulfur production is strong first 2 days, then disappears by day 5. Do not need to carbonate, since at 1 bar entire time.
Attenuation: 73-82%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 62-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I don't think it's worth it in this small of a fermenter. I could see the need in a large 1-2 bbl fermenter, but I think it adds more than is needed to the 20G and under size range. I do think 10PSI would be cool so you could filter transfer to kegs.

Thanks for the input.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Now maybe you could figure out how to retrofit existing conicals to do the 10psi ... that would be VERY COOL!

Dan