New RIMS tube

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Haemon

Re: New RIMS tube

Post by Haemon »

That looks awesome, but I'm not quite clear what you do with it. Can someone explain?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

As I understand it (check out Recirculating Mash Systems on HBT brew wiki), on a RIMS system, you use a pump to recirculate the wort out of the mash tun, through the tube, and back in into the top of the mash tun. Inside this tube, you would have a electric heating element. Hook the element up to a temp controller, and measure the temp of the wort exiting the tube. The pump runs constantly throughout the mash time, with element only turning on when needed to heat the wort.

Should keep the mash at a very consistent & even mash tempature.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

I gotcha. It seems like a very efficient way to maintain the heat. I assume the heating element could be directly controlled, allowing for a two-step mash? (is that the term when you steep at two different temperatures?)
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

The system I have uses this to maintain mash temps or step a few degrees. If you are doing a 20 degree step, you'll also need direct fire.

I'm really considering changing my copper tube out for one of these, but I'm not sure why you'd be measuring the temp of the wort in this tube unless scorching is a concern (it shouldn't as long as your wort is flowing).
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

maltbarley wrote:The system I have uses this to maintain mash temps or step a few degrees. If you are doing a 20 degree step, you'll also need direct fire.

I'm really considering changing my copper tube out for one of these, but I'm not sure why you'd be measuring the temp of the wort in this tube unless scorching is a concern (it shouldn't as long as your wort is flowing).
If you're using a PID based controller or one that can throttle the output, you can vary the output intensity. For that to work , you would need direct feedback from the tube. That and it's also a safety feature to prevent accidentally boiling wort in the tube causing an unsafe pressure increase. The tube needs to be wired such that the element cannot fire unless the pump is running. That coupled with a direct temp measurement in the tube is what is needed to have it operate safely.

That and it does also prevent scorching.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

backyard brewer wrote: The tube needs to be wired such that the element cannot fire unless the pump is running.
I have no PID (just a temp controller) but it is set up to only heat when the pump is running.