Sanke Keg Conversion Kit

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Re: Sanke Keg Conversion Kit

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote:
backyard brewer wrote:Got it, thanks. Do you want to pick it up or have me just send it when it's done? (i'm about a week behind right now)
Considering you still have my hops from the 2008 group buy, I think I've shown that I'm not very good at finding time to pick things up :-)

But let me know. My rough goal is to brew in two weeks (Mar 6-7), so if you think it might not arrive by then, I might need to pick it up...

Otherwise, if you don't mind tossing the hops in the box when you send it, I'd appreciate it :lol:
lol, no problem.
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Not to steal the thread, but are 2008 hops still usable? Aren't they a bit cheesy by now?
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Marotte Brewery wrote:Not to steal the thread, but are 2008 hops still usable? Aren't they a bit cheesy by now?
Not if they've been stored well...
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Marotte Brewery wrote:Not to steal the thread, but are 2008 hops still usable? Aren't they a bit cheesy by now?
Probably yes and probably not. They are vacuum bagged and refrigerated.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I keep my hops vacuum sealed and in the freezer. They last a long time that way.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

When I start brewing again you can try some of my beer and let me know. :oops:
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I keep my hops vacuum sealed and in the freezer. They last a long time that way.
I hear Tim does this with ex-girfriends!
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I guess the extension cord to the Ryder truck parked out front is a "dead" giveaway.
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

backyard brewer wrote:How did this go so horribly wrong?
Sorry, lack of beer and sleep on my part. :?
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I have my first batch with this kit fermenting now, and so far it has gone swimmingly.

One note that John suggested when I asked about needing the o-rings was that it's largely unnecessary for sanitization, but that if you want a perfect seal (to see the bubbles in the blowoff vessel) they'd be a good thing to add. I, of course, figured I don't care much about the bubbles, since I've spent the last three years brewing without the fermenters even in my own house...

Boy, was I wrong! I want to see bubbles! I can tell by smell that it's fermenting fine, and I get the telltale nostril sting from the CO2, but there's just something reassuring about those bubbles.

So for those of you who have bought (or are considering) this kit, I recommend you install the o-rings :lol:
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I used the o-ring for the tri-clover fitting and it seals very well. Even on my lager at 52F, I see and hear the blow off tube bubbling away in a jar of StarSan. I don't even have to open the chest freezer since I can hear it bubbling without opening the lid. It is reassuring to see bubbles, that's for sure.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

+1 for bubbles :)
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Well, I just (actually last night, not 9:30 AM on a Friday) tasted the first batch coming from this fermenter, and I have to say it was a success... And given that this was the recipe TWICE attacked by fruit flies in the past, I'm happy to report that none of the little buggers were found.

So Derrin... Next up is a cleaning rig... You fabricate one, and I'll buy one :-)
Brad