Paintball Co2 tank for kegging

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Paintball Co2 tank for kegging

Post by JonGoku »

At the club meeting on 5/12 Lars was showing off a nifty little portable Co2 regulator setup for dispensing kegs. This got me thinking as Lars also mentioned wanting to adapt it to use paintball Co2 tanks. Anyways, poking around the net I found a few DIY links here, here, here, & here, however these two post (here & here) on HBT really caught my attention.

Lars what is the name of the regulator you were showing? Is it this one from Lowes?
I know you said you got it off ebay, but I would like to know what to search for. It looks like this will hook directly up to paintball tanks though so maybe this isn't it since you were talking about needing to mod it or get an adapter.
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Re: Paintball Co2 tank for kegging

Post by backyard brewer »

That's one bitchen little reg but for $99 is a bit steep.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Additional find on HBT. Ed rocks the house, but damn he rolls big. $$$ is not an issue it seems.

Link to Thread
Jon Image
lars

Post by lars »

It is a mini co2 regulator. The manufacturer is Leland. Good luck finding one on ebay. It took me several months to finally buy it at a price I was willing to pay. Both morebeer and Williams brewing sell them for around $130. Here is one on ebay.
Shut up and brew
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

lars wrote:It is a mini co2 regulator. The manufacturer is Leland. Good luck finding one on ebay. It took me several months to finally buy it at a price I was willing to pay. Both morebeer and Williams brewing sell them for around $130. Here is one on ebay.
Did you look at either of these adapters? What is the thread size you need to match to go into the Leland regulator?
"BREWER'S EDGE® PAINTBALL REGULATOR ADAPTER"
"The Adapter"
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote:
lars wrote:It is a mini co2 regulator. The manufacturer is Leland. Good luck finding one on ebay. It took me several months to finally buy it at a price I was willing to pay. Both morebeer and Williams brewing sell them for around $130. Here is one on ebay.
Did you look at either of these adapters? What is the thread size you need to match to go into the Leland regulator?
"The Adapter"
What you're missing here, Young Grasshopper, is the placement of the "coolness factor". To the untrained eye, the coolness factor appears to be the portability of the gas system. While certainly not uncool, the true coolness factor lies in the clean lines and shear awesomeness of the bottle becoming part of the regulator.

Just adapting a small bottle to a full-size reg is merely functional. Having a minature reg that is part of the bottle is just plain cool.
lars

Post by lars »

JonGoku wrote:
"The Adapter"
I might be able to make one of these work. I haven't had time to look into it yet though.
Shut up and brew
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

backyard brewer wrote:What you're missing here, Young Grasshopper, is the placement of the "coolness factor". To the untrained eye, the coolness factor appears to be the portability of the gas system. While certainly not uncool, the true coolness factor lies in the clean lines and shear awesomeness of the bottle becoming part of the regulator.

Just adapting a small bottle to a full-size reg is merely functional. Having a minature reg that is part of the bottle is just plain cool.
What are you saying? The Lowes Regulator > Leland Regulator?

Although both are compact I really don't think there's anyway that plastic can compete with the chrome. The only consideration would be that the Lowes one goes up to a higher PSI and can be used for pneumatic power tools of which I unfortunately do not own.

If you're thinking I was of the opinion that the std regulator that EdWort had on his system was cooler then the Leland then I apologize for miss leading you. IMO the Leland is the winner by a long shot.
Last edited by JonGoku on Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Image
lars

Post by lars »

JonGoku wrote:What are you saying? The Lowes Regulator > Leland Regulator?

Although both are compact I really don't think there's anyway that plastic can compete with the chrome. The only consideration would be that the Lowes one goes up to a higher PSI and can be used for pneumatic power tools of which I unfortunately do not own.
I think BB is saying that the Leland reg has a significant 'coolness' factor. And really, thats why I bought it. I already had a travel setup using a standard 2.5lb co2 tank and a regulator. The Leland reg gives me more room in my travel suitcase (holds a 3 gal corny, and has a jockey box on top) and more importantly weighs a lot less.
Shut up and brew
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

lars wrote: I think BB is saying that the Leland reg has a significant 'coolness' factor. And really, thats why I bought it. I already had a travel setup using a standard 2.5lb co2 tank and a regulator. The Leland reg gives me more room in my travel suitcase (holds a 3 gal corny, and has a jockey box on top) and more importantly weighs a lot less.
I think you're right. Although I bet you'll have the TSA all over you're ass if you try to carry that on :)

j/k I'll be keeping a look out for one as well. It's coolness factor outweighs the price if it can be adapted to a refillable tank.
Last edited by JonGoku on Fri May 15, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I hate to go O/T, but the your/you're thing is killing me.

Carry on...
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

maltbarley wrote:I hate to go O/T, but the your/you're thing is killing me.

Carry on...
In the off chance it will improve my beer, I corrected the errors. Thanks :)
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

JonGoku wrote:
maltbarley wrote:I hate to go O/T, but the your/you're thing is killing me.

Carry on...
In the off chance it will improve my beer, I corrected the errors. Thanks :)
Just the English beers. :lol:
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

An update to this thread after some feedback from WhiteManCanHop, the guy who built the rig pictured above with the Leland regulator.

To make it as compact as possible the paintball Co2 tank needs to have an on/off valve or you need to buy one of these and replace the old pin valve and loctite.
Alternatively you can get this part which screws onto the pin valve that is already in place, but this would add a bit of height to the end profile.
These parts can be bought online hereat amazon or wherever.

I also received feedback from Leland and was given the dwgs and spec sheets for anyone interested.
Dwg 1
Dwg 2
Dwg 3

WMCH promised to send me the dimensions of the adapter he created to go from the on/off to the Leland regulator and I'll update this post once I receive it.
Jon Image
floyd

Post by floyd »

I was thinking of doing this because not only would the paintball tank be handy for bringing kegs with me but I could also use them for my aquatic plant setups.

Do any of you guys refill them with your larger tanks? If so, how do you do it?
I found this refill kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-Tanks-Cylinder- ... 486wt_1053

Removing the regulator on my large tank every time I want to do a refill sounds like a hassle.. so I might want to dedicate a tank just for refills.