L.A. Cetto - Ensenada, BC

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

L.A. Cetto - Ensenada, BC

Post by backyard brewer »

Went to see my wife's cousins in Ensenada last weekend and they took us to Ensenada's wine country. It was nothing like I expected. They have quite a wine industry there!

We were pressed for time, so we just went to the biggest one which is L.A. Cetto Winery. The scale of the operation is enormous. It's at least 10X bigger than anything in Temecula and the wines were all dramatically better than anything I've had in Temecula and better than most of what Ive had in Napa. They had a glycol chilling plant that looked like 4 long turbine engines all lined up. They must have had 40 to 60 500,000 liter fermenters and I think he said over 2,000 hectares of vineyard. (over 4000 acres)

We tasted a Cabernet sauvignon that I liked. Usually I don't care for the astringency of a cab coupled with its dryness. This cab was very dry but the tannin was not overpowering. You could really taste the oak well.

If you're ever in Ensenada or maybe doing a day there on a cruise, skip the tourist area and take a wine tour there.