Granite City Brewing - Cedar Rapids, IA

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Granite City Brewing - Cedar Rapids, IA

Post by dhempy »

Had lunch (and a brew) yesterday at Granite City Brewing. This place is listed as one of the places that honors the AHA discount (and they did!). The only brewing equipment I saw was 5 17 bbl fermentation vessels behind a display window at the front of the store.

Granite city is a local chain with 3 different locations. The restaurant alone is worth going to as the food was very good. I had a BBQ pork sandwich and the ale and cheddar soup paired up with the Broad Axe Stout in the 25 ounce mega mug.

The Broad Axe is a very nice stout. As it arrived, there was about a 5/8' thick and creamy head floating on top. The beer is opaque and gave off a big malty aroma. The first sip (probably more like a gulp) filled my palate with a long lasting coffee and chocolate flavor that finished with a nice hop bitterness. I didn't detect any residual sweetness in the beer and I would say that this is a very good example of a dry stout.

I can heartily recommend Granite City Food and Brewery if you're ever in Iowa. It would be a nice place to hold a club meeting.

Dan