Harviestoun OLA DUBH 12

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Harviestoun OLA DUBH 12

Post by brahn »

I'm terrible at this reviewing/judging thing, but I figure it's good practice for the BJCP exam, so here we go ...

Harviestoun OLA DUBH ("Black Oil") 12
$8.99 at Whole Foods
Bottle # 11509 / September 2007

The bottle says this is "Ale matured in whisky casks" and brewed in Scotland. This version is aged in casks formerly used for Highland Park 12. They also have versions aged in casks from the 16 ($9.99) and 30 year ($15.99) HP.

Aroma: Roasted malts and sweet caramel accented by plum and vanilla.

Appearance: Lives up to the name. Pours pitch black with a small tan head that dissipates quickly but leaves a fine layer throughout the glass.

Taste: Whisky comes through immediately with oaky, vanilla flavors backed up by roasted malts. Finishes with some bitter chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky, but finishes dryer than I expected. A nice surprise. Almost a touch astringent from roasted malt.

Overall: Very delicious beer. It's definitely not cheap, but it was a nice treat.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

I forked over the ridiculous amount of money for the 30 year, but boy was it ever gooooood :D
Kevin