Mountain Meadows Meadery - Honeymoon Nectar Sweet Honeywine

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Oskaar

Mountain Meadows Meadery - Honeymoon Nectar Sweet Honeywine

Post by Oskaar »

Honeymoon Nectar Sweet Honeywine

Appearance:
This mead is golden, brilliant and gemlike. When swirled it gives the impression of a rich, glyceric mead and coats the glass well. When left to stand after swirling legs develop and are spaced about ½ inch apart initially and then develop much more close together.

Aroma and Flavor:
OK, we have a strong spicy nose with an underlying honey aroma. I remember this mead from the Mead Festival. I was struck by the spiciness and aromatics of this mead. It has an initial spicy aroma followed by a yeasty ester-ey varietal honey character, and the influence of the yeast and fermentation. This must be some very aromatic wildflower honey being used. I’ll be calling Ron Lunder at Mountain Meadows Meadery to inquire further about this. OK this mead carries that spicy character right into the flavor. The fore is very bold with honey, spice, floral, citrus and subtle phenolic notes that are well balanced and nicely represented. These develop along the palate and fade into a nice smooth lingering finish with some clove, cedar, pepper, and coriander flavors that give way to woody and leesy notes on the late finish.

Overall Impressions:
I was really taken back by the first glass of this when I brought it home. It is a very pronounced mead that when tasted won’t soon be forgotten. It gives the impression of a metheglin at first, but on swirling and with some air it really opens up into a very nicely balanced mead. I have to know what blossoms make up this wildflower blend that Ron Lunder and his folks at Mountain Meadows Meadery use. It’s a well balanced mead with a bold flavor that develops nicely and has a nice long smooth and pleasant finish.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!