Features Presentation

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Oskaar

Features Presentation

Post by Oskaar »

Features Presentation – July 6, 2006

Well this was varied and eclectic tasting with a lot of bang for the buck. These are some very nice wines in the value to dollar range and they really deliver the goods. So without further yadda yadda:

The White:
Henri Bourgeois Sauvignon Petit Bourgeios 2005 - $7.99
Matua Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2005 - $7.99
The Crossings Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2005 - $9.99
Kenneth Volk Chardonnay Sierra Madre Vineyard 2004 - $18.99

The Pink:
Domaine des Corbillieres Touraine Pinot Noir Rose 2005 - $9.99
Domaine de Fondreche Cotes Du Ventoux Rose L’Instant 2005 - $10.99

The Red:
Brancott Pinot Noir Marlborough 2004 - $8.99
Cascina Castle’T Barbera d’Asti 2004 - $9.99
Bitch Grenache Barossa 2004 - $7.99
Rosenblum Chateau La Paws Cote du Bone Roan 2004 - $9.99
Barahonda Yecla Monsatrell 2005 - $8.99
Jean Louis Tribouley Vin de Pays des Cotes Catalanes Les Bacs 2004 - $10.99
Cataldi Madonna Montepulciano d’Abruzzo 2003 - $12.99
Russo Val di Cornia Rosso Ceppitaio 2003 - $13.99
Artesa Cabernet Sauvignon Napa/Sonoma 2003 - $13.99
Mr. Riggs Shiraz McLaren Vale “The Gaffer” 2005 - $16.99
Alejandro Fernandez Ribera del Duero Tinto Pesquera 2003 - $24.99

OK I was ready to call out the “Bitch” as number one red just on general principles, but I found a wine that had even more fun with the name and the wine itself is an all day long drinker. But I get ahead of myself

Top Picks:

The White: The Crossings Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2005
I suggest getting a tumbler and quaffing this stuff it’s quite refreshing and very pleasant, and the price “HELLO” $9.99 a bottle is a great deal for this New Zealand export. This nice little bottle of clear, clean and pale gold white is pretty much on the line and delivers some very bold and brisk herb, stone and grapefruit notes in the nose hinting at a very serious style, but bringing a nice punch and enough melon and passion fruit sweetness to the table to be a very nice and full flavor mix. Great bottle, great price ‘nuff said.

The Red: Rosenblum Chateau La Paws Cote du Bone Roan 2004

Deep ruby red, clear, brilliant and gemlike with a full nose and seductive black fruit, cassis, plum and wood in the nose, this wine really walks the walk for a $9.99 bottle. it's the value that really swayed my opinion here as there were other wines that were of higher quality but also with a much higher price tag. Called a Roan like a horse, but like the Rhone region of France too. The guy who runs the winery (Kent Rosenblum wine dude and veterinarian) obviously had way too much time on his hands and the keys to the barrel room one day when he came up with this name. This is a blend (OK the cat’s out of the bag, you all know how much I like to blend honey; well here’s a guy that had some fun with grapes) this is a blend of Carignane, Syrah, Zinfandel and Gamay, obviously none of these grapes were grown in the Rhone since it’s a California wine, but hey, one can always poke some fun. Wines like Goat Roti, and Goats do Roam – Goat Roti kind of lead the way in for these little pokes at the sober appellations of the Rhone. Anyhow, this is a great bottle of wine for the price and it is very fruit forward and delivers a balance blend of plum, spice, pepper and berries. Plenty of flavor to linger and enjoy all day long. Woo hoo, time to get me more!

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!