Burgundy Corner

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Oskaar

Burgundy Corner

Post by Oskaar »

Bugundy Corner – July 1, 2006

Vins Blanc

Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Vieilles Vignes 2004 - $18.99
Jean-Mark Brocard Chablis 1er Cru Montee de Tonnerre 2004 - $18.99
Louis Michel & Fil Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons 2004 - $28.99
Dom. William Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Las Preuses 2004 - $44.99
Dom. Jean-Marc Morey Santenay Les Cornieres 2004 - $23.99
Vincent Girardin Saint Aubin 1er Cru Les Murgers De Dents De Chiens 2004 -$28.99

Vins Rouge

Dom. Gros Frere et Soeur Bourgogne Haute Cotes de Nuit 2003 - $17.99
Arnoux Pere et Fils Chorey-les-Beaune Les Confrelins 2003 - $19.99
Philippe Roty Marsannay Champs Saint Etienne - $27.99
Louis Jadot Beaunne Chouacheux 2003 - $36.99
Dom. De L’Arlot Nuits Saint Georges 1er Cru Clos Des Forets Sant Georges 2002 - $54.99
Dom. Gros Frere et Soeur Clos Vougeot Grand Cru Musigni 2003 - $66.99
Dom. Fourrier Morey-St. Denis 1er Cru Clos Sorbes Vieilles Vignes 2002 – $54.99
Georges Lignier Et Fils Clos St. Denis Grand Cru 2003 - $49.99
Mommessin Clos de Tart Grand Cru 2003 - $169.99
Dom. Maume Gevrey-Chambertin En Pallud 2003 - $45.99
Memmessin Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 2003 - $85.99
Jadot Chames-Chambertin Grand Cru 2003 - $114.99

What a line-up of phenomenal Burgundies from the Cotes d’Or, Chablis, etc. This is a very nice line up of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from some classic Burgundy Apellations.

OK top choices were:

White: Louis Michel & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons 2004
This classic French White Burgundy is everything you always wanted from a Chablis. A quick word on the 1er you’ll see in some of the names on this list. This is the French abbreviation for Premier just as we abbreviate First (1st). This was brilliant, clear and gemlike in appearance with fine legs and a pale gold to light straw color when held to a white background. It has great volume in the glass and gives the appearance of a nice full wine. The aroma is a wonderful blend of honey, citrus, floral and stone fruit aromas with some nice mineralic overtones and woody undertones. The flavor is sharp and crisp on the attack with nicely balanced acid and fruit on the mid. This has a great structure with integrated mineral, fine grain tannin, oak, melon, and peach with a very lush mid and crisp clean lingering honey finish. Hints of vanillin, almond, white flowers and toffee on the end. This is a barrel fermented Burgundy (I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess CY3079 because it is just such a classic profile) Outstanding value for an outstanding white burgundy. Get this by the gallon if you can afford it!!

Red: Dom. De L’Arlot Nuits Saint Georges 1er Cru Clos Des Forets Sant Georges 2002 Boy, this one was tough, there were three outstanding wines. I let this filter down to value to dollar. Most people are not going to go out and drop $169 on a bottle of wine every week (that’s my story and I’m stickin to it:o) so despite having two wines that are technically better than the one I picked, I thought it made more sense to go with a value to dollar wine and this one is certainly that! This wine was a nice burgundy (pun intended) color with consistent color intensity and crystal clear. Very leggy and lush in the glass with great volume it is inviting to the eye. The aroma is classic French Burgundy with heavy Pinot Noir varietal aroma and the faintest soussant of Asparagus (sorry couldn’t resist the Sideways reference) accompanied by some very nice deep fruity cassis and violet floral aromas. This is a very well structured and highly complex wine with some very lush brooding black cherry fruit on the mid and a very long lingering finish. This is dark, sexy and seductive. Get a tumbler and drink as much as you can before they kick you out of the store.

OK, honorable mention goes to Jean-Marc Brocard, not for both his excellent value Chablis, but also for the fact that this winery is actually selling some very high quality Chablis in a box under the name BROCARD 2004 JURASSIQUE 3L BOX CHABLIS for about $27. People, this is three liters of classic French White Burgundy for under $30. Run do not walk to the store and try this!

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!