Selections from La Cave - Mixed Vintages and Regions

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Oskaar

Selections from La Cave - Mixed Vintages and Regions

Post by Oskaar »

Selections from La Cave – June 15th, 2006

This tasting was from several cases of wine that has been laying down for some time in the cellars of the wine store I frequent. There were three lots that were available for purchase, but I didn't write down the other two as they became academic after the tasting. So without getting ahead of myself, here they are.

WHITES:
Michel Colin-Deleger Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Chenovettes 1996
Zilliken Riesling Saarburger Rausch Spatlese 1993
Zind Humbrecht Riesling Grand Cru Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain 1997

REDS
Parusso Barolo Mariondino 1989
Domain Gramenon Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Pascal 1998
Domain Sorin cotes De Provence 1995
Dominio de Pingus Ribera del Duero Flor de Pingus 1996
Bodegas Lan Rioja Reserva Culmen de Lan 1994
Condado de Haza Ribera del Duero Alenza 1995
Remelluri Rioja Gran Reserva 1990
Chateau Ferriere Margaux 1995
Les Fiefs de Lagrange St. Julien 1990
Reserve de la Comtesse Pauillac 1986
Penfolds Shiraz Coonawarra Bin 128 1990
Henschke Shiraz/Cabernet/Merlot Barossa Keyneton Estate 1996
Fox Creek Shiraz/Cabernet Franc McLaren Vale J.S.M. 1998
Coriole Shiraz McLaren Vale Aberfeldy 1998
Tim Adams Shiraz Clare Valley Aberfeldy 1998
Turkey Flat Vineyards Shiraz Barossa Valley 1998

This was an outstanding line-up to wade through and enjoy. It’s always nice to swill down a 20 year old Pauillac while you watch the world go by.

OK top choices were:

RED: Bodegas Lan Rioja Reserva Culmen de Lan 1994

This wine is a deep ruby red that is brilliant and gemlike. It is leggy and coats the glass nicely upon swirling. It carries good volume in the glass and is very aromatic. Nice spicy, peppery notes with oak and mineral, followed by tannin and sweet alcohol. Medium to full on the palate with plums, leather and cedar and classic Tempranillo varietal flavor. Nice toasty oak with some herbal characters distinctly black and brooding like a Pinot. Pink peppercorns with spice and balanced fruit and oak, long lingering finish that continues to develop. This one can be decanted and left for several hours, and will still be developing wonderful flavors.

WHITE: Zilliken Riesling Saarburger Rausch Spatlese 1993

Good color and clarity, nice bright golden-green color with an inviting fruity and floral nose. Notes of stone fruit, melon and citrus present followed by honeysuckle and herb. This has a wonderful crisp citric attack with notes of pear, peach and melon. It is smooth and fresh along the mid with good volume and mouthfeel. The finish releases notes of grapefruit, pear and light mineral with a hint of smoke. Very nice.

HONERABLE MENTION: Coriole Shiraz McLaren Vale Aberfeldy 1998

I had to put this one in here for anyone that’s never tried this bottle. This is not for the faint of heart or someone looking for subtle flavors, complexity and impeccable structure. This is an over the top fruit bomb with aggressive vanilla in the nose on the palate and right through to the finish. The toast level on the cooperage used for this wine really puts the wood sugars and vanillin on display. Again, this is a Shiraz, with a nice deep red and brilliant color, the nose has hints of chocolate, lots of vanilla, plum, spice, mineral and ripe red fruit. There’s plenty of varietal spiciness in this one on the mid and of course, need I say again, vanilla. I’m writing this one up so if you ever have a chance to try it you will. You’ll swear someone took a vanilla bean and shoved it in the bottle. Go ahead, and check for it, but you won’t find it.

No value category here. I walked off with a bottle of the Bodegas Lan Rioja Reserva Culmen de Lan 1994 because it’s an exercise in complexity and structure that just keeps on getting better and better with more and more air. Quite an amazing wine.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!