Pittsburgh, PA - Hereford & Hops (for the travelers)

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Pittsburgh, PA - Hereford & Hops (for the travelers)

Post by bwarbiany »

I'm out in Pittsburgh on business, specifically in a town called Cranberry Township, PA.

I had to drop off a few competition beers at Hereford & Hops, a steakhouse/brewpub here in Cranberry.

Food was pretty damn good. Steak, prime rib, great seafood, good appetizers. Definitely well above average brewpub fare. My coworker had prime rib and was very happy, and I had a cedar plank salmon that was very nice. My cedar plank salmon, including rice & green beans, as well as a salad, was only $18.95, which is pretty reasonable for a place of this caliber.

Often at places like this, though, the beer is sub-par. Not this place. The beer was universally competent, and in some cases, rather phenomenal.

I had several of the beers, a schwarzbier, red ale, amber ale, oatmeal stout, and ESB. The schwarzbier, red, and oatmeal stout are medal-winners at either the GABF or the World Beer Cup, and they're well worth it. The ESB is really tasty. The amber ale is really an American Pale Ale, and a really tasty APA at that. The only criticism I have is that it's labeled as an amber, because it fits the style guidelines of an APA perfectly.

If you're in the area, this is more than worth a stop. One of the better brewpubs I've ever been to.
Brad