Beer Review: Lobotomy Bock

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Beer Review: Lobotomy Bock

Post by backyard brewer »

I also picked up a 6-pack of Lobotomy Bock from Whole Foods. My wife and I stumbled across the Indian Wells Brewing Company a couple years ago on our way to Mammoth. It's a pretty cool little brewery smack dab in the middle of nowhere (North of the 395/14 junction) Anyway, I really like their Mojave Red and I had tasted the Lobotomy Bock at the brewery so I was happy to see it in the store.

It's a 10%+ Dopplebock. The color is very deep copper-red, just short of a lighter porter. It has quite a nice malt nose on it. The flavor is good and malty but I would expect a little more complexity for a dopplebock, it's a little one-dimensional but not in a bad way. What is remarkable is how well the alcohol is hidden! It's very very smooth for a 10%+ beer.

This isn't something that you absolutely must drop what you're doing and drive to get, but if you're there and see it you won't be disappointed and it's less than $10 a six-pack with is very good for a high gravity beer.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I saw this the other day and was thinking of getting it until I remembered the lousy stout we had from Indian Wells at the Feb. brew day. It sounds like this is a much better beer, I'll have to try it out sometime.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I stopped by Indian Wells last summer on my way to the Sierra's for a backpacking trip. The Mojave Red is a nice beer. Their other beers are also good, except for the Piute Stout. It is too thin and not enough roasted malt character. I did enjoy the Bock though.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's