Bitch's Brew and Padron serie 1926 #9

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

grico

Bitch's Brew and Padron serie 1926 #9

Post by grico »

This past weekend i was lucky enough to find a bottle of Bitch's Brew by Dogfish Head at TotalWine in Tustin. I was excited to finally find a bottle, as I have always loved jazz, and the thought of the two coming together intrigued me.

I ran home like a giddy school girl and put on the Bitch's brew album, and went looking for my favorite snifter. When it was opened up I didn't know what to expect. I didnt read the label and had no idea what I was getting into. A strong smell of toffee, carmel, and plum wafted past my nose as I poured it into my glass. The long legs of this full bodied beer clung to my glass as I gave it a quick swirl, and then brought it up to my nose. I was met again by the toffee, carmel, and plum, but also some dark berries and some smoke. The taste was complex, with wonderful roasted carmel notes, black currants, and a sweet/dryness from the honey. The full body coated my tongue and left a sweet velvety finish.

Wow, what a amazing beer.

I decided to let it warm up a little, and enjoy the late summer air on the patio with one of my favorite cigars, a Padron serie 1926 #9. This medium bodied smoke added to the complexity of the beer, and made the currants and honey pop. With Miles still playing in the background, I let myself drift away into the cool summer breeze. Now that was relaxation.

:cheers:
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Bitch's Brew and Padron serie 1926 #9

Post by brahn »

Great review!

I saw Bitches Brew at Total Wine but I steered clear of it due to my past experiences with DFH's beers. Maybe I should reconsider. Have you had the Sah'tea, Theobroma, Red & White, Namaste, My Antonia, 120, Worldwide Stout?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Nice review. Like brahn, I am not a big fan of DFH beers, but I may have to give this one a try based solely on your review. I don't have the Bitch's Brew album, but I do have Kind of Blue, so that will have to do.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I've had Bitch's Brew and really liked it as well. Will have to go check the local Total Wine out and get some ...

Dan
grico

Post by grico »

brahn wrote:Great review!

I saw Bitches Brew at Total Wine but I steered clear of it due to my past experiences with DFH's beers. Maybe I should reconsider. Have you had the Sah'tea, Theobroma, Red & White, Namaste, My Antonia, 120, Worldwide Stout?
I have had Sah'tea, Red & White, and Namaste. Nothing really to write home about in my opinion, at least nothing that really stood out. I do remember liking Pangea, again nothing like Bitch's Brew, but i remember thinking positively about it.
grico

Post by grico »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Nice review. Like brahn, I am not a big fan of DFH beers, but I may have to give this one a try based solely on your review. I don't have the Bitch's Brew album, but I do have Kind of Blue, so that will have to do.

Kind of Blue works too, or since we are both in Corona, perhaps we can finally get together. :-P
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I did pick up a bottle and was not disappointed. Thanks for the recommendation!

I didn't listen to Miles though, I was watching Fringe.