Mammoth Brewing Devils Postpile Ale

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Mammoth Brewing Devils Postpile Ale

Post by backyard brewer »

Wow!

I am lucky enough to have friends that go to Mammoth on a regular basis and thinking of me they brought back a 22oz of a limited release Devils Postpile Ale from Mammoth Brewing. This is a fantastic beer, listed as 7.5% ABV and 50 IBU.

If you're not aware, Devil's Postpile is a National Monument right near Mammoth. It's a volcanic formation and quite cool looking, formed about 100,000 years ago.

Anyway. According to the label they say it's brewed with ESB (not sure?) Crystal and melanoidin malts and centennial hops. Part of the process they say is
Mammoth Brewing Co wrote: "... Using Superheated volcanic rocks in the tradition of an old world brewing process to create a "super-boil", the Devils Postpile Ale exhibits a unique maltiness imparted through the caramelization of wort not easily attained with a regular brew kettle."
That couldn't be a more accurate statement. I am not a big fan of "C" hops but this is a pretty amazing beer; think medium bodied bock meets a really nice (not over the top) IPA. And I mean real IPA by the numbers, not the tongue-splitting IPA's that are needed to win awards these days.

This would be the perfect beer to demonstrate the difference between the perception of sweetness and maltiness as this beer is really not sweet but incredibly malty.

If you are fortunate enough to come by this beer; grab it!!!!!!!!!
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Mammoth Brewing Devils Postpile Ale

Post by brahn »

I'll be in Devil's Postpile on Saturday. I don't think it will be tough to convince everyone we need to stop by the brewery on the way... :happybeer:
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

Port Brewing's Hot Rocks Lager is made the same way

It's actually something I've been thinking about trying one of these days.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Brent, bring some back!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I didn't bring any back, but I did have some at the tasting room while I was there. It was a very tasty beer, caramel-y, hoppy and well balanced. I'm still unconvinced by the technique with the superheated rocks though. I've had a few beers brewed this way and I haven't encountered any flavors that I haven't also tasted in beers that didn't use them. It's a fun gimmick though for sure, and don't take this in any way as a slight against this beer.
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

I haven't been, but my buddy did. He came back w a 8x10 sheet of paper (complete w fake wort stains) with detailed ingredient lists for all their beers. i thought that was cool.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Heading up to Convict Lake next week. I will have to take a detour to Mammoth now.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

They have something like 10-12 taps at the tasting room and if you go in they'll offer the full flight for free, I highly recommend it. :happybeer:

It's too bad you can't get pints or cold bottles/cans there, but you can get cold growlers and warm bottles/cans.
backyard brewer

I'm headed up for the Blues and Brews Festival (Bluesapalooza) this weekend. I'll try to bring a couple bombers home but no promises they'll live to a meeting...
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

backyard brewer wrote:I'm headed up for the Blues and Brews Festival (Bluesapalooza) this weekend. I'll try to bring a couple bombers home but no promises they'll live to a meeting...
I know where you live..
backyard brewer

maltbarley wrote:
backyard brewer wrote:I'm headed up for the Blues and Brews Festival (Bluesapalooza) this weekend. I'll try to bring a couple bombers home but no promises they'll live to a meeting...
I know where you live..
Well come on over, but there is none left up here. :-(
brien

Post by brien »

I tried this when I was up in Yosemite. Great stuff. I have a few bottles of their Epic IPA, Amber ale, and Double Nut Brown still in the fridge.