Firestone-Walker's "Union Jack" IPA

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Postby lexuschris on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Union_Jack.jpg
Union_Jack.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

I saw this bottle recently at the supermarket, and thought I'd give it a try. I've liked Firestone's double-barrel ale previously, but had not tried their other offerings.

Wow! This is a great IPA! Definitely, in my top 3. I'm still trying to cultivate my BJCP adjectives, but am nowhere near ready to try that. :)

I love the balance on this IPA. A strong enough malt backbone to support the hops. Definitely a heavy body & mouthfeel, which suits it well. You can tell there is some munich & a high mash temp in there.

The hop flavors tend toward citrus & pine, with a firm bite in the aftertaste (which is great after the chewy malt up-front).

I've been trying a lot of random IPAs on the shelf lately, and some hit the bitter side well enough, but without the malt support ... can be a bit rough. Not this one. Good job Mr. Firestone!

From their website:
ABV = 7.5 %
SRM = 8L
IBU = 72
Malts: 2-row, Munich, Cara-Pils, Light Crystal
Hops: Warrior & Simcoe (bittering), Cascade & Centennial (late kettle adds), Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe (dry hop)

Give it a try, and post your thoughts!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lexuschris

Re: Firestone-Walker's "Union Jack" IPA

Postby BrewMasterBrad on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:33 pm

This is one of my favorite IPAs as well. Very nice balance for an IPA. I first tried it at the Craft Brewers Conference in San Diego a couple years ago and I wish I found on tap more often. I highly recommed it. It's not a blow your socks off with hops IPA. It is more balanced, but still definitely an IPA.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near
BrewMasterBrad
Untappd Junkie

Postby Marotte Brewery on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:52 pm

I am a big fan of this one. I even bought the T-Shirt when I was at the brewery in Paso last fall. I also seem to remember it won a bunch of awards at one of the recent competitions.

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!"
Marotte Brewery

Postby BrewMasterBrad on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:57 pm

Marotte Brewery wrote:"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!"

Thanks Ferris.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near
BrewMasterBrad
Untappd Junkie

Postby SCBeerDude on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:09 am

+1. This grew on me. I'm not a big fan of Firestone beers generally, because they are not hoppy or bitter enough for my taste, but I really like this IPA. The additional bitterness balances out the malty sweetness of their formula, IMO. O'Shea's typically has this in stock.
SCBeerDude

Return to Reviews