Oatmeal Stout

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Oatmeal Stout

Post by brahn »

Ok all you oatmeal stout brewers ... what type of oats do you use? I'm going to be brewing one and I want to make sure I buy the right thing at the store. Do any of the standard 'rolled oats' work, or am I looking for instant oats, or something else?

Brent
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I've been buying "Flaked oats" at the LHBS. I'm not sure how they relate to what you get in the grocery store. One thing I wanted to try was to "toast" the oats before brewing with them ... next stout will have that done for sure.

Dan
lars

Post by lars »

I used flaked oats from B3. Not sure what they relate to in the grocery store though...
Shut up and brew
jward

Post by jward »

I use good ol' Quaker cook 'em the full time oats. They are cheaper in bulk from Mothers et' al.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

jward wrote:I use good ol' Quaker cook 'em the full time oats. They are cheaper in bulk from Mothers et' al.
I always thought the full cook oats were not fully gelatinized and had to be cooked before mashed. I've always used Quaker Instant Oats in the tube. The "cook for one minute" kind. I've always been told they are fully gelatinized and can be added directly to the mash.

I might be wrong, but that's what I've always done. I actually use some oats in my pale ale because I like the slick mouth-feel they give.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I use standard Quaker oats that we buy in bulk at Costco. My understanding is that they are gelatinized fully during processing and can be added directly to the mash without cooking first. I used 2# of this very oatmeal in the fruit witbier you guys sampled Sunday night.

Cheers!