Hi-Times Kits

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Second Home

Hi-Times Kits

Post by Second Home »

Hello Everyone. I am new to BC and have about 12-15 batches of brew under my belt. I learning a ton every time I brew and I still have a long way to go. I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone on Brew Commune and learning a lot from each other. The reason for this post is tell all of you an interesting story. Last night I had some friends over to brew 10 gallons of a Belgian Wit. I normally buy my kits from Steinfillers but as most of you are probably aware, they are closed Monday and Tuesday and I was unable to get the kits that I wanted last minute so I went down to Hi-Times. When I opened the first bag of grain, we noticed a TON of bugs in it. Probably 500-700 little tiny black bugs. We called the guy who puts the kits together for Hi-Times and we was nice enough to put together some fresh grain for us and deliver it straight to my house but I just want everyone to be aware when they buy Kits from Hi-Times to open their kit up and check before leaving the store so you’re not in the same position we were. It put us very behind schedule but never the less, we have brew a brewing! =)

Brandon
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up and welcome to the board.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Welcome.

I thought that guy was no longer making those kits for them. I'm surprised that Hi-Times still sells the kits.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Welcome to the board!

It seems this was a good year for grain weevils for some reason. I had weevils when I brewed a witbier a few weeks ago. I thought it was my grain so I went through all of it and not a weevil to be found (even in my older grains). Turned out they were in my flaked oats instead. The brew turned out fine even if the protein level is a bit high. :wink:

Here is my take. If the grains still seem dry and smell normal you are probably fine using the grain, weevils and all. If the moisture level is high and it smells like weevil piss - don't use it!

Cheers!
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

Brew Captain wrote:Welcome to the board!

It seems this was a good year for grain weevils for some reason. I had weevils when I brewed a witbier a few weeks ago. I thought it was my grain so I went through all of it and not a weevil to be found (even in my older grains). Turned out they were in my flaked oats instead. The brew turned out fine even if the protein level is a bit high. :wink:

Here is my take. If the grains still seem dry and smell normal you are probably fine using the grain, weevils and all. If the moisture level is high and it smells like weevil piss - don't use it!

Cheers!

:shock: How many weevils were in the grain when you brewed? I can understand still brewing with a few but there were 100's. Maybe even over 1000. The whole kit it self was very wierd. We bought 2 kits of the witbier and in one batch he had pale malt and the other batch he had amber malt. When he came over to drop off the fresh grain I asked him about it and he said he must have just been out of pale malt so he substituted amber. Also I think he had the hops mis-labled too because the 2 batches had different Hops in them. The whole thing was very strange. I just hope it comes out alright. I do have one question for everyone out there. Starting in January, I'm going to be doing my first all grain batch and I have a ton of questions. Is anybody interested in coming over the day I brew to walk me through All-Grain? We will have beer as payment for you time and help :D
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Second Home wrote: I do have one question for everyone out there. Starting in January, I'm going to be doing my first all grain batch and I have a ton of questions. Is anybody interested in coming over the day I brew to walk me through All-Grain? We will have beer as payment for you time and help :D
the club hosts brew days pretty regularly. They're typically open to club members since they're at someones house and not a public venue. Even after 17 years of brewing i find them informative and enjoyable. We usually have a club meeting on odd numbered months, public venue open to the public and brew days on even months. December there will not be one as we're having a Winter Warmer party.
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

What's the winter warmer party?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

The Winter Warmer party is a club member only event we are having for the first time this year. Last December, we brewed a 1.130 OG batch of Blackwine that we will tasting for the first time this year. If you want to join the club, just click on the Join the Club link at the top of the page. In addition to getting to getting discounts at Steinfillers and More Beer, you also get access to the club only section of this forum.

As stated above, we normally have club meetings in odd numbered months and club brew days in even numbered months. Most of our members are in Orange County, but we have members from Corona to Santa Rosa. I probably brew more often than any of the other members and you are welcome to come watch me brew an all-grain batch before you do your first one (I am always looking for help cleaning out my mashtun). Since you live in Costa Mesa, you will probably get some interest in some members helping you out on your first all-grain batch. I have been brewing for four years and I have 118 batches under my belt. I live in Corona, so I am not as close to you as some other members, but if you want to make the drive you are welcome to come over and brew with me.

Happy to have you on the forum.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Welcome!

I pretty much brew at least once a month in Tustin, and I'd be happy to show you how to brew all grain as well. Brad and I have very different setups, so you might want to see a couple different ways to do it.

Brent
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

Thank you guys very much! I look forward brewing with you guys. Let me know when you are brewing and I'll make sure I'm not working that day. I will be joining the club as well, I'm just waiting on my next paycheck :wink:
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Likewise, you're more than welcome to join Dustin & I for a brew at some point, we brew at his place in Yorba Linda... Ours is undoubtedly more ghetto-fied than most brew setups, but it gets the job done.

If you're brewing on a weekend, let me know. I live in Laguna Niguel but typically every other weekend my wife and I stay down in Newport Beach with her family. If you're brewing on a weekend that I'm down there, I can probably come by to help out.
Brad
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Second Home wrote: Starting in January, I'm going to be doing my first all grain batch and I have a ton of questions. Is anybody interested in coming over the day I brew to walk me through All-Grain? We will have beer as payment for you time and help :D
You'll be pleasantly surprised at just how easy going to all grain is.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

I too will extend an open invitation the next time J.D. and I brew. We are probably the least experienced out of the group, and have only been doing all grain for about 6 months.
Kevin