Emergency Fermentation Question

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Re: Emergency Fermentation Question

Post by brahn »

It was sour and you dumped it out?!? How sad! :)

j/k, but a good sour beer is a thing of beauty. I would also guess that the contamination came from the oak. Was there a film on top of the beer when you bottled/kegged it? Other than using sanitizers, I've heard of steaming the oak or soaking it in whiskey or vodka, which is probably what I'd do.
Brewski

Post by Brewski »

there was nothing beautiful about this sour taste, it was nasty. i like bitter, but not this flavor.

actually yes there was a foam that developed on the top, about a week before i bottled. i was planning on aging for a little longer, but once i saw that i figured i better bottle sooner rather than later. when it was sitting there stagnant it clumped together and looked kinda moldy at first, but when i picked up the carboy and brought it downstairs to bottle, it separated and looked like regular foam.... sound like an infection?
Jared

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy" - Benjamin Franklin
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brahn wrote:It was sour and you dumped it out?!? How sad! :)
Other than using sanitizers, I've heard of steaming the oak or soaking it in whiskey or vodka, which is probably what I'd do.
Of course! I've also used Vodka to sanitize vanilla beans. Derrin turned me onto this. I get 'em good and drunk (they sit in Vodka for about a week ... but that is mostly to help extract flavor). Whiskey would be good for stouts too!

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Brewski wrote:when it was sitting there stagnant it clumped together and looked kinda moldy at first...
Jared, check out this thread and see how excited Rezzin is about that mold:

http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... f=20&t=389