HopShot

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

HopShot

Post by brahn »

I'd read about this on the NB forums a while ago, but I just got an email from them saying that the HopShot is now for sale. Has anyone tried this, or a beer made with this, yet? It certainly sounds interesting and seems like a relatively cheap way to bitter beers.

From the NB website:
HopShot is CO2-extracted hop resin that can be used for bittering or late additions to boiling wort — treat it just like leaf or pellet hops added during the boil. The HopShot syringe contains 5 milliliters of extract. One milliliter of HopShot yields approximately 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes. Test batches indicate that this bitterness may be slightly less agressive on the palate than your average hop addition.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/hopshot.html

I wonder how you'd set that up in BeerAlchemy / ProMash / BeerSmith.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

$3 to get 50 IBU? You can do that just as easily with one ounce of a high-alpha hop, like Magnum, showing up at freshops for $2.25.

I can see the use of this product (adding a neutral bitterness w/out adding hop material), but I can't say I see it as anything particularly exciting.
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

No doubt freshops is a good deal while supplies last. Magnum's currently $6.99/oz at NB and it's not even available from B3 or austin homebrew. Before the harvest high alpha hops were pretty hard to find, and I'd guess that trend will continue at least through 2009.