Kolsch ale b3 lager characteristics

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

Kolsch ale b3 lager characteristics

Post by huntfisher »

I do not have the equipment for lagers, but am wondering if this beer can still have lager characteristics if I store the bottles in 70-80 degree weather. B3 recommends fermenting in 65-68 which is no problem. But, storing bottles until carbonated are my problem since soaking bottles in water would cause mold to grow. So would storing at room temp, probably between 75-85 be okay for this style.
Rezzin

Re: Kolsch ale b3 lager characteristics

Post by Rezzin »

huntfisher wrote:I do not have the equipment for lagers, but am wondering if this beer can still have lager characteristics if I store the bottles in 70-80 degree weather. B3 recommends fermenting in 65-68 which is no problem. But, storing bottles until carbonated are my problem since soaking bottles in water would cause mold to grow. So would storing at room temp, probably between 75-85 be okay for this style.
If you can't keep cooler temps then I would recommend waiting until it's cooler before brewing with lager yeast. I'm not familiar with the style personally but perhaps you can use an ale strain and ferment it on the low end as a substitute. I know Brew Captain brew's lots of Kolsch so maybe he, or someone else can chime in.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hunterfisher:

I typically store my Kolsch at around 60 degrees during ferm and initial aging. That is where the yeasties like to be. Fortunately, I have a neighbor with a wine cellar that he keeps at around that temp. I've never had any issues with Kolschs done that way. I would think that 75 would be too warm and that you'd have unhappy yeasts. That said, I've got a couple of bottles sitting in my pantry that is probably around 72. I'll break one open and let you know (after I chill it down a couple of days).

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

My experience says you'll be ok at those temps. It may not be ideal, but with only the priming sugar left I doubt you'll have any off flavors.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brahn wrote:My experience says you'll be ok at those temps. It may not be ideal, but with only the priming sugar left I doubt you'll have any off flavors.
Brent is probably right on this point!

Dan
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Just an FYI - if the recommend temp rage is 65-68 for the yeast, your ambient air temp will need to be lower than that to achieve this. You could always use a tub filled with water and ice bottles as an alternative.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

It would be better if you could lager it, but the most important part will be the initial fermentation temp. Since you can control that, you'll end up with a Kolsch that is just not quite as clean as it can be is all.
lars

Post by lars »

I've had Kolsch that sat at room temp (around 75f) for several weeks and came out excellent! Again, the most important part will be initial fermentation temps.
Shut up and brew
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

Thanks for the tips. I'll give the kolsch a try in a month or maybe two. I brewed three beers this month,so I am bushed.