oatmeal vanilla stout b3 , are yeast supplements mandatory

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

oatmeal vanilla stout b3 , are yeast supplements mandatory

Post by huntfisher »

The B3 recipe did not have any yeast supplements,, so I figured since their not mentioned, then they are not needed. But, I have been doing some readings and it states that yeast supplements should be used with gravities >70. The gravity I have is 71. Will my final gravity be fine or do I need to buy some yeast supplements or can I just pitch some extra yeasts. Right now the fermenter has WLP002 .
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Yeast supplement (particularly in your starters) isn't a bad thing at any point. However, if you're already fermenting away, it might be too late. I believe-- and could be wrong on this-- that the supplements are mainly needed by the yeast during their growth/replication phase, which is typically completed by the time you're fermenting like crazy.
Brad
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

So, it looks like I'm screwed. It has not started bubbling, so would tossing more yeast help get the final gravity where I want it.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Oskaar (club yeast guru) .. chime in here!

Dan
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

How long has this wort been sitting without kicking into active fermentation?

What is the current pH and gravity?

What type of fermentation vessel are you using (plastic bucket with an airlock, carboy, etc.)?

What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched your yeast?

Did you oxygenate or aerate?

Let us know, I would guess that we should be able to get it jump-started.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

Ill find out the current hydro reading, but the temp was 74 when pitched. It is going on its 13th hour. I used a six gallon better bottle with an airlock.

What exactly is ph.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

First thing. If it's not bubbling, and you're using a bucket, try opening the bucket to determine whether you're at full krausen. Often if the bucket lid is not fully sealed, you'll be fermenting but not seeing airlock activity.

Second thing... How long has it been? If it's only been 12-36 hours and there's no activity, don't worry about it yet. And don't pitch yeast yet. At 12-36 hours, the yeast have built their numbers to such a large extent that your additional vial will be useless, but still may not be showing outer signs of fermentation. However, if it's gone more than 48 hours, I'd pitch more yeast, because your original yeast may not have been viable.
Brad
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

pH is the level of acidity/alkalinity of your wort. If it is a low number on the acid side (below 3.3) then your must may be too acidic for the yeast to be viable. This is not uncommon in mead and wine, not quite as much in beer.

Since you're using a better bottle, and it's only been 13 hours, I wouldn't really worry about this until it's at 24 hours.

Did you follow the instructions for preparing your yeast (bringing it up to temperature)?

Cheers,

Oskaar
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

Yes, kept the yeast at room tempt for four hours. I am worried that the gravity will be to high when finished since there are no yeast supplements since the starting gravity is 70. Should I still siphon some wort so I can get a hydrometer reading or should I wait since it could contaminate it.
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

Go ahead and get a gravity. This is really the best way to know if there has been any activity since you pitched the yeast. Make sure you sanitize your sampling instruments well, and don't return the sample to the vessel once you're taken it. If you see a drop in the SG it means your yeast are alive but moving very slowly.

Some nutrient wouldn't be a bad idea at this point.

Let us know,

Oskaar