Anyone want to brew with White Supote?

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Anyone want to brew with White Supote?

Post by backyard brewer »

My neighbor has a supote tree and really wants to try a supote beer. Supotes are fleshy like a banana but much softer and have a very kiwi like flavor only sweeter and more floral. The fruit is ripe now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_sapote

She has enough fruit to puree into about 8 quarts. She'd like a 6-pack or so of bottles when it's done.
lexuschris

Re: Anyone want to brew with White Supote?

Post by lexuschris »

Not being familiar with the fruit, I'm not ready to dive in on making a beer from one. However, the wiki says the flesh is creamy like a ripe avocado. That makes me thing of a high fat content, which may make it difficult to integrate into a beer.... but again, I've never tried eating one. Is it that kinds of buttery texture like an avocado?

Also, I noted that the seeds (and the flesh) have some sleepy (narcotic) properties. Hmm... maybe there is a gruit recipe in here somewhere! :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I might be up for that... I've got an empty fermenter right now. :D

I assume she'll take care of pureeing it and storing it in the fridge or freezer for a few days?
Brad
backyard brewer

bwarbiany wrote:I might be up for that... I've got an empty fermenter right now. :D

I assume she'll take care of pureeing it and storing it in the fridge or freezer for a few days?
She won't mash them but I can refrigerate them for a bit until you can grab them.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Okay, I can potentially pick them up Saturday afternoon, or perhaps early Sunday evening. If not that, it's probably an extra week as I'm out of town for a few days next week.

Just need to figure out what to brew...

Blonde ale? American wheat? Pale lager?
Brad
backyard brewer

bwarbiany wrote:Okay, I can potentially pick them up Saturday afternoon, or perhaps early Sunday evening. If not that, it's probably an extra week as I'm out of town for a few days next week.

Just need to figure out what to brew...

Blonde ale? American wheat? Pale lager?
Sorry, been really busy.

I would think an American wheat. I talked to her the other night and she's going to peel and freeze them. So next week should be fine. Shoot me an email to coordinate as I only get on here every week or so now.