Hop Rhizomes

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Hop Rhizomes

Post by bwarbiany »

Is this about the time of year to get these started?

Anyone have any cuttings they'd be interested in sending my way?
Brad
lexuschris

Re: Hop Rhizomes

Post by lexuschris »

Yes, this is the time! Online, you may still be able to find some rhizomes available. Some years they go really fast in mid-late Feb thru March. Other years, you can still find them in early April.

Looks like Wiliams' Brewing still has some... I 'm sure they are others out there too..
:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

lexuschris wrote:Yes, this is the time! Online, you may still be able to find some rhizomes available. Some years they go really fast in mid-late Feb thru March. Other years, you can still find them in early April.

Looks like Wiliams' Brewing still has some... I 'm sure they are others out there too..
:happybeer:
--LexusChris
Okay... Got some cascade on the way... I think I'll try several different locations this time to see where they do best.
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Next year I'll probably be trimming some of mine. Need to look into how to do that. :)

As far as location, wherever gets the most sun is the way to go from my experience.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Sun, water, vertical, and loose (not compacted) soil were the order of the day around here last year.

I had a couple of "strays" (3 varieties) that came up with a shovel and wound up with Maltose Parrot last Friday ... there might be a few extra parts that should grow with water, sun, and soil. Check with Tony.

I will go out a look again ... most of last year's plants are about ready to reach the twine (which I need to string ... trellises went up last week) and even the new plants are coming in nicely (EKGs and Magnums) .. so I suspect that in the next few weeks there may be another opportunity if someone wants plants / rhizomes.

I'll post a pic soon.

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Here is a snap of the "hop yard" from the other day. I still have to string twine .. a couple of the plants are ready. The two closest trellises are 2' taller this year. The farthest trellis is new this year ... it'll have EKGs and Magnums .. I think the EKGs may actually produce some cones this year ... but the magnums are first year .... they were given to me by the Local HBS after last August I took some hops in for their club to use. I potted them and they sprouted a few leaves before going dormant. When I transplanted them, not much of a root system but they will get a full day of sun in this location and hopefully take off as the others have. The EKGs were transplants from my first hop area and are a couple of years old ... they had extensive root systems after being potted last summer. They already have multiple bines sprouting. I had given up on them as they really didn't do much in the other location. Glad I potted 'em!

Dan
HopYard_2014.jpg
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Here is another shot of the hop yard one month later. Some of the Sterlings are up around 10' already (foreground right). They're growing like weeds! (this was shot after dusk the other night .. so sorry for the lighting .. will try to get a morning shot with better lighting).

Dan
HopYardMay4th.jpg
Maltose Parrot

Post by Maltose Parrot »

Hey Dan,

Missed you at Casitas.

The hop plant parts I got from you are stirring! They aren't at 10 feet, but they all have leaves poking up through the soil. I need to get some string up, they seem to be moving fast.

I'll keep ya posted.

Thanx!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

The cascades I ordered are coming up... They're *just now* starting to get tall enough that I need to think about training them...

The Tettnanger from Dan aren't doing so hot yet... I think of two big cuttings I'm just starting to see a leaf or two alive... Not sure if these will just take longer to get established than the Cascade, or if they just aren't going to take, but we'll see.
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

My Tetts are off to a slow start this year ... I think I've only got one or two bines up on twine total. The Cascades are not far behind the Sterlings though. I don't remember how the Tetts went last year. I transplanted the whole hopyard in April and didn't expect anything. I was shocked at how well they all did.

I put in Magnums and EKGs (both were in pots last year). I think that the EKGs had a pretty good root ball and grew multiple 3'-4' bines in the 5 gallon pots last year so I'm expecting them to get at least halfway up the trellis this year. The Magnums were 3" rhizomes when they were given to me last September. I potted in 6" (1 gallon?) pots and they grew little 6"-9" bines and then went dormant. When I transplanted them I could see that one was coming to life but the other had no signs of life. Happily, both have multiple leaves on them now. If they get 5'-7' I'll be pleased.

So don't be discouraged by the Tetts slowness ... I think that's par for the course.

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

dhempy wrote:So don't be discouraged by the Tetts slowness ... I think that's par for the course.
Good to know. Thanks!
Brad