Water - benefit and costs of RO

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby DrDually on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 am

bwarbiany wrote:For those of you that want to know which one I bought, here it is - http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Logic-31035 ... hydrologic

By the way, I found a cheaper spot online that I will probably use when it is time to replace filters and membranes - http://www.ehydroponics.com/reverse-osm ... ement.html


I am leaning towards a system like this one...http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-90-detail.htm
Seems to waste a lot of water, so will probably capture and use the brine water on lawn or in courtyard fountain

Another option is this portable unit http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-counter-detail.htm
Does anyone have experience using a portable unit? If so, do you drain and dry membranes to avoid nasty's growing in the filters?
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
User avatar
DrDually
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:23 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby maltbarley on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:27 am

Just curious, has anyone looked at the one Costco sells for ~$125?
User avatar
maltbarley
 
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:31 am
Location: Orange, CA

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby bwarbiany on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:07 pm

DrDually wrote:I am leaning towards a system like this one...http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-90-detail.htm
Seems to waste a lot of water, so will probably capture and use the brine water on lawn or in courtyard fountain


Is this for home water or just for brewing? I notice this one has a 4 gallon tank that won't get you very far when it comes to brewing water. That's one reason I went with the tankless one and mounted it out in my garage. I can make drinking water with it and put it in the fridge, but it's just really convenient to make the water out there in the garage a day or two prior to brewing, and not having to worry about a tank seems simpler (and cheaper) than the tank systems.
User avatar
bwarbiany
 
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Laguna Hills, CA

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby DrDually on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:11 pm

bwarbiany wrote:
DrDually wrote:I am leaning towards a system like this one...http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-90-detail.htm
Seems to waste a lot of water, so will probably capture and use the brine water on lawn or in courtyard fountain


Is this for home water or just for brewing? I notice this one has a 4 gallon tank that won't get you very far when it comes to brewing water. That's one reason I went with the tankless one and mounted it out in my garage. I can make drinking water with it and put it in the fridge, but it's just really convenient to make the water out there in the garage a day or two prior to brewing, and not having to worry about a tank seems simpler (and cheaper) than the tank systems.


I am looking at buying one with a tank...possibly upgrading to the larger 14 gallon tank, then use for icemakers etc
Another option is this unit http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-counter-detail.htm
Sits on counter and hooks up to faucet
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
User avatar
DrDually
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:23 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby JonW on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:56 pm

My thoughts were along the line of Chris's also. I was thinking of one with the tank for drinking, fridge & espresso machine and then I'd add a bypass to fill a larger container as needed.
User avatar
JonW
Club President
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:21 am
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby Megastout on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:29 pm

Curious
Does anyone use a water testing kit eg. LaMotte for water adjustments.
It seems that knowing your values would make it somewhat easy to make additions and measure effects so you can actually record values for future cause and effect results.
I have not used anything before.
Also, has anyone used the "John Palmer Water Adjustment App Version 1.5"
User avatar
Megastout
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Orange

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby DrDually on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 am

Megastout wrote:Curious
Does anyone use a water testing kit eg. LaMotte for water adjustments.
It seems that knowing your values would make it somewhat easy to make additions and measure effects so you can actually record values for future cause and effect results.
I have not used anything before.
Also, has anyone used the "John Palmer Water Adjustment App Version 1.5"


I have not used the app, but am considering purchasing the LaMotte BrewLab Pro
http://www.lamotte.com/en/food-beverage/7190.html
This kit will also check dissolved oxygen
After searching, was unable to locate a vendor, so requested contact details from LaMotte
Once received will post here
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
User avatar
DrDually
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:23 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby Megastout on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:42 am

Northern Brewer is one of the vendors
User avatar
Megastout
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Orange

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby BrewMasterBrad on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Brent will be glad to know that the first beer I am brewing with RO water is a Porter. :happybeer:

Thomas Scientific carries the BrewLab kit, but I did not find the BrewLab Pro:

http://www.thomassci.com/Laboratory-Sup ... %20brewlab

Morebeer also carries it:
http://www.morebeer.com/products/lamott ... 18801.html
The future's uncertain and the end is always near
User avatar
BrewMasterBrad
Untappd Junkie
 
Posts: 3260
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Circle City Craft Beer, Corona, CA

Re: Water - benefit and costs of RO

Postby DrDually on Fri May 01, 2015 7:35 am

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Brent will be glad to know that the first beer I am brewing with RO water is a Porter. :happybeer:

Thomas Scientific carries the BrewLab kit, but I did not find the BrewLab Pro:

http://www.thomassci.com/Laboratory-Sup ... %20brewlab

Morebeer also carries it:
http://www.morebeer.com/products/lamott ... 18801.html

I have also found the two kits mentioned, but not the Brew Lab Pro
Sent an email to LaMotte requested vendor contact info
Will post here once received
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
User avatar
DrDually
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:23 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Previous

Return to Ingredients



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron