Lallemand BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

nevery

Lallemand BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast

Post by nevery »

In case anyone didn't see this... it's pretty exciting to me, a new West Coast Ale DRY yeast! It's available from Williams's Brewing. Looks like it's time to place another order!
Lallemand wrote:BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast

BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast was selected from the Siebel Institute Culture Collection and is used by a number of commercial breweries to produce different types of ale. The propagation and drying process have been specifically designed to deliver high quality beer yeast that can be used simply and with reliability to help produce ales of the finest quality. No colours, preservatives or other unnatural substances have been used in its preparation. The yeast is produced in ISO 9002 certified plants.

Microbiological Properties:
  • Classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae
  • A top fermenting yeast.
  • The active dried strain has a typical analysis:
    Percent solids 93 – 95 %
    Living yeast cells ≥ 5 x 10^9 per gram of dry yeast
    Wild yeast < 1 per 10^6 yeast cells* (Lysine method)
    Bacteria < 1 per 10^6 yeast cells*
  • Finished products are only released to the market after passing a rigorous series of tests.
*according to ASBC and EBC methods of analysis

Brewing Properties:
  • Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17 °C.
  • Medium to high attenuation,
  • Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation are dependent upon inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
  • BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast is a flocculent strain. Settling can be promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.
  • The aroma is slightly estery, almost neutral and does not display malodours when properly handled. It may tend, because of flocculation, to slightly reduce hop bitter levels
  • Best when used at traditional ale temperatures after re-hydration in the recommended manner.
The Data-Sheet

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

bwarbiany

Re: Lallemand BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast

Post by bwarbiany »

Very cool... I think this is worth looking for. Seems almost similar to the San Diego Super Yeast from the description... Fast, flocculent, and neutral flavor...
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Sounds like a competitor to US-05 - which I'll stick with unless I hear great things about this new one.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

JonW wrote:Sounds like a competitor to US-05 - which I'll stick with unless I hear great things about this new one.
One thing I haven't seen to be too good with US-05 is flocculation. When I tried the SD Super Yeast, that yeast cake dropped like a freakin' slab of cement.

But I do agree on one thing: taste is king, and I'd like to hear some good reports about this yeast before making it a wholesale replacement for US-05. That said, I might give it shot if I happen to see it somewhere, but it's not going to be on the recipe, sight-unseen, for the beer I'm about to brew and serve at a party...
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote: One thing I haven't seen to be too good with US-05 is flocculation. When I tried the SD Super Yeast, that yeast cake dropped like a freakin' slab of cement.
+1

US-05 is great, but it is super powdery. Having a more flocculant alternative with a similar flavor profile would be a definite plus.
nevery

Post by nevery »

brahn wrote:US-05 is great, but it is super powdery. Having a more flocculant alternative with a similar flavor profile would be a definite plus.
Totally agree. Certain things I can taste in beers that stand out for me, US-05 is usually one of them. It's almost TOO bland for me and indeed powdery. It almost adds a wierd dryness? It's almost like a fine coating on the tongue. Good yeast, though.

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

brahn wrote:
bwarbiany wrote: One thing I haven't seen to be too good with US-05 is flocculation. When I tried the SD Super Yeast, that yeast cake dropped like a freakin' slab of cement.
+1

US-05 is great, but it is super powdery. Having a more flocculant alternative with a similar flavor profile would be a definite plus.
Crash cool!!!!
GreyWolf27
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I always like choices and love trying new yeasts! Will have to give this one a go soon!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Greywolf wrote:
brahn wrote:
+1

Crash cool!!!!
Even crash cooling US-05 won't clear it for several weeks in my experience. I've never done it, but I think gelatin will clear it faster.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

brahn wrote:
Even crash cooling US-05 won't clear it for several weeks in my experience. I've never done it, but I think gelatin will clear it faster.
Gelatin helps clear it quite nicely...
Brad
nevery

Post by nevery »

bwarbiany wrote:Gelatin helps clear it quite nicely...
I'm looking for polyclar, if anyone has a connect. (it fines and also takes care of tannins. :) )

Anticipating: