2012 Hop Harvest

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

2012 Hop Harvest

Post by Marotte Brewery »

To all of you experienced hop growers. When do you know when they are ready for harvest? I feel like they should be ready soon, but I don't want to pick them too soon...
Zeus
Zeus
IMG_1084.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Hop Harvest

Post by JonW »

I have no experience to lend, but I found this vid informative:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVxuVzDz_L0
lexuschris

Re: 2012 Hop Harvest

Post by lexuschris »

Your hop bine looks very health! Nice work! My cascade here in Irvine got destroyed by spider mites again this year. Hate dem buggahs..

Which variety do you have? Have you looked up whether they are early, mid or late season harvest?

I've read about the simple pinch test... when you pinch a cone in the middle, it should spring back quickly... it should feel like dry tissue paper. I'm also told that they turn a lighter shade of green as they mature and become papery. You may also notice that the lupilin glands inside the cone will become easier to dislodge.

Anyways, that is sort of what I read. There are some other good links out there on the subject. If you think they are still a bit young, then wait. If you start to get slight browning on the outside tips of the cone, then you are pretty much ready.

hope that helps..
--Chris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields