San Diego Super Yeast WLP090

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

San Diego Super Yeast WLP090

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I just brewed yesterday and I am using the new WLP090 yeast for the first time. I bought a vial last week at the MoreBeer sale in Riverside. I brewed 10 gallons of my Extra Pale Ale (same recipe that got first place in category 10A at Hangar 24 a couple months ago) with starting gravity of 1.045. I made a 3 liter starter on my Brewers Hardware stir plate. Lag time was less than 12 hours and it is fermenting very nicely in my chest freezer. I will report back on the finished product. Anyone else use this yeast yet? I need to come up with some other styles to try it in after this batch is done so I can re-pitch. I think this beer would be very refreshing after a long day of hop harvesting in the Arizona sun.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Marotte Brewery

Re: San Diego Super Yeast WLP090

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I just kegged my kitchen sink IPA that used WLP090. It was a great attenuator and even better flocculator. Starting gravity was 1.060 and after 2 full weeks (it was at a friends garage in a chest freezer at 67 deg) it finished out at 1.010. Most of the trub even stayed at the bottom when lifting the carboy out of the freezer just before racking into the keg.

One note. The beer came out darker than I had expected, but I'm not sure if the yeast could have caused this... I'm curious to see how yours turns out to see if you have the same results.
16 lbs 2-Row, 1 lbs C-30, 1 lbs C-40, 1/2 lbs Munich.
16 lbs 2-Row, 1 lbs C-30, 1 lbs C-40, 1/2 lbs Munich.
IMG_0937.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
I used a 1.6L starter.
I used a 1.6L starter.
IMG_0913.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Had not heard of this 'San Diego SUPER yeast" until your post! Any guess what brewery it comes from?

Sounds like another clean, balanced California Ale style yeast, so I hope it gets some great reviews from you guys! Although, I think it will definitely shine best after hop harvesting in the Arizona sun!
:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

lexuschris wrote:Had not heard of this 'San Diego SUPER yeast" until your post! Any guess what brewery it comes from?

Sounds like another clean, balanced California Ale style yeast, so I hope it gets some great reviews from you guys! Although, I think it will definitely shine best after hop harvesting in the Arizona sun!
:cheers:
--LexusChris
Not sure which brewery it came from, but the word on the street is that it is from Port Brewing.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

More importnatly, where did you get that incredible piece of hardware to convert a sanke keg into a fermenter??? That looks like an amazingly well made piece of hardware to convert a Sanke keg into a feremnter! Can you post a link to where you found that?

:roll:
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

LOL...Would the moderator please delete the spam? Oh wait, the mod is pitching his wares...carry on. K:-)
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

maltbarley wrote:LOL...Would the moderator please delete the spam? Oh wait, the mod is pitching his wares...carry on. K:-)
Pitching ... is that PUNishment? Actually it appears to me that he is blowing his own horn ... :cheers:

Either way .. it is a great looking piece of Stainless Gear!

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

backyard brewer wrote:More importnatly, where did you get that incredible piece of hardware to convert a sanke keg into a fermenter??? That looks like an amazingly well made piece of hardware to convert a Sanke keg into a feremnter! Can you post a link to where you found that?

:roll:
I love my sanke fermenter so much that I have two of them!

Speaking of sanke fermenter kits, did anyone else see the conversion kit in the latest BYO magazine (p. 65) with no mention of Brewers Hardware? The author just kind of glosses over it like he TIG welded the thing.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Just a quick SEO grab...

What's the cover date of the BYO?
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Would love to hear the taste profile of this yeast... I'm thinking between brewing my Oktoberfest and actually serving it at a party, I'll need to turn something around quick. I bet with this yeast I could do my RyePA and go boil->keg in two weeks, including 1wk dry-hopping.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

backyard brewer wrote:Just a quick SEO grab...

What's the cover date of the BYO?
July-August 2011, vol. 17, no. 4
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Judging by the profile of this yeast posted on the White Labs web site, it is a clean fermenter like WLP001 but is more attenuative and it ferments faster. Something to keep in mind here is that while being able to ferment fast is great (especially for commercial breweries), the higher attenuation means that if you brew a recipe and expect to get the same results as with WLP001, then you will probably be disappointed. This is not a bad thing, it will just require some recipe or process adjustments to get the same results as WLP001 in shorter time. The mash temperature may need to raised a few degrees to increase the amount of unferementable sugars or adding more crystal malt to the grist could also offset effects of higher attenuation.

Of course, all of this is just speculation until I try the beer I brewed on Sunday side by side with the WLP001 version. It has been about 36 hours since I pitched the yeast and the blow off tube is still bubbling away like crazy. My recipe is listed here - http://www.brewconsume.net/recipes/recipes.htm - it's the Fool's Gold EPA.